Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ja2808

Stories of lost gear

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

Have you ever lost gear and remarkably gotten it back, or did it turn into a gift to the water?

I’ll start.

Once last fall I was moving locations on beach. I had an inshore spin and a surf conventional. I moved the bait and inshore rod 70 yards away, Walked back for the surf rod in the spike. Walking back to the inshore rod & bait, the rod was gone. I Looked around in dismay, and noticed a giant seagull sitting in the water about 50 yards out. At that time, he flies up exposing my rod entirely out of the water (he had eaten my bait, and was hooked.) Desperate, I needed my rod back. I took my surf rod, made a single cast that landed 3 feet directly behind the bird. I reeled very slow and felt me hit the dead weight of my sunken rod. I slowly reeled in the inshore rod and the bird. I coaxed him into letting me unhook him and he was safely released and I got my rod and reel back!

It was my first time fishing and I threw a 2oz spro bucktail. I fished it for a little bit and eventually it got caught on a rock and I lost it. Stay fishing the spot with a new bucktail. About 15 casts later I snagged the bottom but was able to get the bucktail up from snagging anything more. I reeled it in and then realized I caught the Spro Bucktail I lost earlier. Thought it was funny

Cool story.

Here is mine,bought a brand new set of korkers,while in Montauk.

I fished the whole night very calm night.Stayed on the same rock,caught a few fish.

Light started coming up over the horizon,decided time to head in jump off my rock,and only feel one korker ***.Got all the way in packed up the jeep,left my wetsuit on went back to the start of my fishing trip looked for about 2 hrs.No luck,walking back to my buggy not a happy guy.

All of a sudden I pass a guy with one single korker in his hand.He must of known and walked right up to me and started talking.He tripped over the korker when he was fishing the night tide.

All I can say is thanks Ralph..

I just got my Dblue surf rod in March(my first ever surf rod). So one weekend me and my buddy was really itching to go fish or at lease to try out our new gear.

We head to a beach in Warwick about 15mins away from home. I clipped on a 3oz lonely angler pencil popper and started to cast out there. Man I was so amazed at how far I threw. After 45mins of casting was I feeling cocky, no old salt can match my casting skills.

I called out to my buddy and said Hey! watch me do one of those super cast like them dudes you see online. So I flipped the bail held the line, brought my rod all the way back and threw it with all my might. I even closed my eyes, thinking I'll get more power. When I open my eyes all I saw in the water was a big splash of water and my buddy laughing his arse off.

Then I looked over to my rod in hand, the top piece was missing. Lucky my line didn't snap so I just reeled my pole back and walked back to the car head down. With my buddy laughing at me the whole time and on the ride back home. :cry:

I just got my Dblue surf rod in March(my first ever surf rod). So one weekend me and my buddy was really itching to go fish or at lease to try out our new gear.

We head to a beach in Warwick about 15mins away from home. I clipped on a 3oz lonely angler pencil popper and started to cast out there. Man I was so amazed at how far I threw. After 45mins of casting was I feeling cocky, no old salt can match my casting skills.

I called out to my buddy and said Hey! watch me do one of those super cast like them dudes you see online. So I flipped the bail held the line, brought my rod all the way back and threw it with all my might. I even closed my eyes, thinking I'll get more power. When I open my eyes all I saw in the water was a big splash of water and my buddy laughing his arse off.

Then I looked over to my rod in hand, the top piece was missing. Lucky my line didn't snap so I just reeled my pole back and walked back to the car head down. With my buddy laughing at me the whole time and on the ride back home. :cry:

The same thing happened to me when I bought my first real surf rod (st croix triumph which I'm still using). I had just bought that damn thing and I was already nervous because I'd never spent so much on a piece of fishing equipment. Up to that point I was using the garbage from modells. What's worse is this was one of those impulse I'll-explain-it-to-the-wife later type of purchases. 1/2 hour into casting my new awesome(to me) rod top half goes flying on a hard cast. Holy crap my heart was beating, how the hell am I gonna explain this?? But I eventually reeled it in. So advice to newbies, always make sure your top half is secure lol.

My kid is fishing in his yak about 10 years ago and comes in the house. Dad I just lost my new setup,fell right out of the rodholder on the yak. I said where did you loose it . He said by the rock about a 100 yds out. I said Ok I will find it at low tide. So I went out,looking around,three or four times and I see a rebel blue back on the bottom. I hook it with a poggie jig and at the end of the line is the rod and reel. It was down for about two weeks put some WD40 on it ,it works good. he still has it today

When I was younger, I'd fish various lakes in central Wisconsin with my father for walleye, musky, bass and the like.  We towed our Smokercraft the 5 hour drive to Lake Monona one day on the Madison chain, and upon arrival noticed it was quite windy on the water.  It was a small boat, and a pretty crappy fixed dock, with about 2 ft. of chop for the day, but we'd driven a long way, and knew it was more than doable.  The Smokercraft had no rod lockers, so they were sitting "dumbly" on the side of the boat nearest the dock, when a wave heaved the boat under the dock lip, destroying my bass rod.  I don't remember it being a particularly expensive rod, but I was a young kid, and had saved up for it myself.  It was also my first bait-caster setup. 

Later in the day, we went out around a point, and anchored into the waves to cast for musky.  We saw several large fish surface, but couldn't buy a bite.  After a half a day of being abused by the water, no hits, and the fish basically surfacing and laughing at us, Dad started the motor, and I went to raise the anchor.  It was a mushroom anchor, and when it broke the surface, sitting cockeyed across the upper lip was a bait-caster rod and reel.  I quickly grabbed the rod, dropping the anchor back to the bottom before setting down the rod, and bringing it back up. 

I had to send the reel in to be cleaned, it must have been down there quite some time.  Over 20 years later, rod and reel still work, and are my favorite go to setup for worming when I visit dad up in the Upper Peninsula.

My buddy and I are togging on my boat at first light off of Norwalk. Two minutes into the first drop my buddy's rod gets hit and pulls it out of his hand (drinking coffee with the other). It was his favorite rod and reel with lots of sentimental value, seeing how it was a gift from his father.

About an hour later, I notice some green braid come out of the water when the boat rolled. I scoop down with the tip of my rod and grab the line. Somehow, the line got caught in the lower unit of my outboard.

I give it to my friend who hand lines in his rod & reel and a 10 pound bluefish.

I was fishing on a small pond in Winchester Ma. It was early in the morning, early in the year. We are in a small 10' pram and I am rowing. There is nothing in the lake as far as rocks or islands,just wide open. I am rowing and my orr hits something, at first I thought is was a rock? I say,that the hell is this to myself. Scared the hell out of me. It's 2'wide and 3'long? the next think I see this big head come out of the shell. Big turtle. The only place I have seen turtles this big is in a zoo.

Fishing one of my first lmb tourneys back in the early eighties on a local lake. It was early March and was blowing and snowing. Real nasty. Half the registered guys didnt show up, so I thought I had a decent chance to place. Put the boat in and went out to the deepest part of the lake by an island to start jigging. After about twenty minutes my hands were numb, and on a cast the reel backlashed. The whole rig just jumped right out of my hand and followed the jig into  the lake. I spent the next two hours trying to keep the boat in place against the wind, keep my partner on fishable water, all the while broadly casting a ratteltrap hoping to somehow snag my rig back. We finally gave up on that spot and moved to other spots. Hours later, heading back to the ramp and weigh-in with no fish to show for it, I decide to toss my jig out and straighten out the loops on my reel and we ran at full speed w/the electric motor. Reeling back in I feel a dead thump and pull. Quickly shut down the motor as I figured I had snagged a stump. But instead of pulling the boat back I pulled up my jig with some line attached to it. Get the jig in and started handlining the mono... At the end was the rig I had lost. I still have the reel, and it still works fine.

BTW, a one fish bag won that tourney freak.gif

Twice ( 2 times ) I have seen my rod & reel get pulled into the Atlantic by overwhelming hits ( NOT the same rod & reel ) only to have my fellow fishermen ( who I did not know ) hand them back to me later in the day when my set-up became entangled in their lures or bottom rigs later in the day . We don't appreciate the terrific group of guys ( and gals ) that we are privileged to participate with in pursuit of Striped Bass until that happens , and all they want in return is a Thank You.

My sister had a house on LBI, Barnegate Light. I would fish there every Fall. Left the house and drove to one of my spots, fished, came off the beach and leaned my rod against a pine tree next to my car. Took off my waders and gear, got in the car and left my custom rod and Penn 750SS against a pine tree. Had some errands to run, about 2 hours later realized what I did. Went back to where I left the rod and my it was still standing  against the tree.  I was really lucky.

Fished a hi lo rig with bloodworms. Got a bite, ,snagged the weight in a rock which cut the line.

hour later... I snagged the same hi lo with 2 stripers on it. 20 inchers.

Saw a pelican snatch a dudes brand new walmart special right off a pier, right after his first cast.

i snagged his line and gave it to him, but the bail was open. he spooled his own reel. He got the combo back then left....mad :mad:& im sure embarrased :shock:

gave me all $20 of his fresh bait.

A friend and I were out Albie fishing on Nantucket sound in my 13 ft Whaler one day. It pretty choppy out there as is normal during the fall run. We decided to make a run to another area about 10 miles away so I hit the throttle and get the boat on plane. We were cruising at around 25 mph when something brushed past my friends head. About 30 seconds later my friend said something like. "Holy ****, I think you fly rod flew out back there!".

I spun the boat around and slowly started to backtrack on our bubble trail. A little while later I saw something small bobbing between the waves. My rod was floating tip down and the only thing above the surface was the fighting butt. Luckily, I had the neoprene reel case on the reel. The reel case was the the only reason the set up stayed floating long enough for us to find it.

Now I keep a bunch of sections of bright green swimming pool noodles on the skiff, I put one on every rod I'm not using.

D

There was a particular deep hole in the rocky ledges of Beavertail that I used to always hit for tautogs. I always hung up a lot and broke my off my rigs. When striper fishing the edges of the hole, the same thing would happen with jigs, lures and metal. It was a hungry structure, but it was such a really productive spot.

Years later, I got into scuba diving heavy and made a point of checking out that spot. The deepest cleft in the bowl was about 25 feet deep. When I was swimming in the deep cleft I found a layer of broken shells, lead weights, and metal lures that seemed to be a foot thick. The storm and tidal surges would roll anything on the bottom around until it rolled into the deepest spot. I loaded my lobster catch bag with so much lead and metal that I needed to inflate my Boyancy Compensator to float up. I made a few more trips to that spot with a salvage bag, and now 30 years later I'm still using that lead and some castmasters and hopkins lures that came out of that spot.