Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g2h

Allstar blanks

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Picked up a few Allstar blanks over weekend in Jersey. Was wondering if anyone could tell me about them.

BGSW845 7' med.

BGW 907 (rub) 7'6"

IGSH 1085-2 9' 2 pc.

BGW1085-2 9' med.

first two i'm going to wrap as kayak rods.

You should get responses here, but if not try Rod Building Forum.

The Allstars that got the most enthusiasm here were the 1208 and 1209, the latter a heavy rod much liked by the CCC jigmeisters.

The first BGSW845 is a med. action rod that is like a mag bass blank the rating was 1/2-3oz or so .. not more then that. That blank is from my all time favorite blank line up.. The Elite BGSW!!

The 907 I beleive is an early Composite or all glass blank. I don't think it was made past 1998 or so. I'm not familiar with it!!

The IGSH is not an All Star model. I'm not saying they didn't make it but I beleive it was a private label blank. Pacbay which at that time made blanks in their own factory called Cascade Graphite made the IGSH series which is a steelhead/salmon model. The 1087 and 1088 are great surf blanks with thin butts and small tips. They were fast action and had thick walls. I still use my own version of these blanks today. It's a very long boring story and a basket weave of one as well.. but basicly the person who designed these and many other very popular actions had his hand in all these companys at one time or another!! Don Mook is his name!! One must understand how blank making happens to understand half of the story!!

If it is a steelhead All Star model it would be a prefix BESH they also had the IGM series which was a cross of salt/salmon actions. Very nice stuff for light/med lures.

The BGW 1085 is another that All Star didn't list in their late catalogs. If it's the BGSW1085 it is one of the best action 2pc 9' blanks ever made IMO. 1-4oz ..Love that blank!! If it's BGW I would say it's either composite or all glass.. Not familiar with it!!

You would get the impression that All Star made the best blanks.... Great actions ,nice feel, and just tough...IMO they were hard to beat,,,,still are but I'm trying!!

Thank you very much for the info.

Just noticed that the 2 you referred to, the 907 and IGSH were hand written labels, leading off with ALL STAR.

The 2 you gave me info on are the only ones in a package, with the ALL STAR logo on it. The 1085-2 is in fact the BGSW1085-2.

That IGSH 1085-2 is extremely thin.

[img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3225680/width/393/height/700]

What color is the IGSH?? Flat black or red/plum color?? If it's a natural or a see thru color look and see if the blank # is scratched into the blank anywhere on the butt! Oh that SW1085 is a sweet azz blank!!

What color is the IGSH?? Flat black or red/plum color?? If it's a natural or a see thru color look and see if the blank # is scratched into the blank anywhere on the butt! Oh that SW1085 is a sweet azz blank!!
nerb? i take it you wrap rods. :).

what would it cost to wrap the 1085? ball park.

I have 6 custom rods wrapped on BGSW blanks that are all between 10-15 years old. They are some of THE BEST rods I have ever taken fishing. Hands down, barr none, period. Wish they would have kept the BGSW line going.