Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NHAngler

Hobie Revo Crate Configurations

8 posts in this topic

Moved from a OK Trident to a Revo. I keep mainly wet items in my crate but looking for a slightly better setup for my Revo. What is a happy alternative that will also hold at least 2-3 rods with a rod older attached?

The crate is still not a bad way to go with the Revo. You can mount a 3 rod holder on the back side and a Scotty side / deck mount on the side of the crate if needed. I had that configuration a while back.

I tried getting rid of the crate and storing everything inside the hull. After a while I really did not like the idea of having to open that hatch every time I wanted a new lure. In calm waters, no problem. In heavier seas, I was not comfortable. One good wave and it's possible to get enough water inside the hull to make things unstable and dangerous. It was back to the crate. I take 2 or 3 tackle boxes, a bag with spare pliers, small bolt cutters and rain jacket, a dry bag for reels, and small dry bag for my car keys. I do keep a dry box inside the hull with essentials like small first aid kit, cigar and spare lighter. :D

I installed a lid on the crate using the bottom part of a second crate and plastic ties as hinges. Through a number of surf crashes, I've never lost anything out of the crate. The stupid mirage drive was a different story though. :shock: Fortunately, I got that back.

instead of a crate i use a dry bag strapped under the bungees and clipped to the bungee/cart. i can throw this into the front hatch if i need the space for fish or if i think im in for a crash landing. keeps everything dry and no need to rinse extra items as the insides are not exposed to the salt.

I use a small bag.. just got a shimano bristal bay bag from my friend.. looks sweet. floats and is water tight. little big but i can throw some food and drinks in there so. i like. i put my bag under the bungees and had a dog leash or a 2-3 bungiee to keep on it just incase. it never went anywhere.

Bac those bags are only really water resistant. If submerged or laying down in water the zipper will leak. Liner can get brittle in time and will crack. They are great bags/coolers, I have two. The older one leaks and liner is cracked after two years. The new one leaks with ice n water inside and can't find leak in bag though. Just don't trust them to be "Dry".

I also went from a P-13, P- Trident to a Revo. I was so use to the Marine 1612 box and large staples office crate configuration with AFI triple rod holder on the OK's for those years, I just did the same thing in the Revo. It works for me.

I've been trying to cut down on the amount of stuff I carry. I'm down to a single Plano tray that I keep in my rear tank well.

Of course it all depends what I'm going for, but when I do use a crate, I have one with a top (made from the bottom of another crate) in the tank well.