Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manomet mark

opinion on daiwa saltist 6500 with lamiglass 11 foot surf king for canal jigging going with a new rig

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I jigged with my 4500 a few times.. hooked a ghost trap and wound up putting a skip in the reel... It still works great but I'd think it might blow up after a season of heavy jigging.

I liked plugging with my surf king before I broke it (in the door of my wife's car)... I didn't like jigging with it.

If u can cough up the extra cash buy something that will hold up for a lifetime. If u can afford it go with that reel or one with a similar price. It might only last a season or 2 depending on the amount of time u spend fishing. U get for what u pay for.

Surf King isn't that durable for jigging maybe light jigging but i'd say keep looking. If u want Lamiglas something like XRA-1322 Ron Arra series or GSB surf series. Fatcow's your right too about the reel situation it probably won't last more then a season or two depending on how heavy you're throwing. i have a 6500 saltist on a 4-8oz custom Rainshadow 11'6" i'm planning on jigging it and huge swim baits.. Honestly if u want good quality for a jigging rod under $200 go with a 11' tsunami 4-10oz XH i've seen a friend of mine fish just about every lure possible on his and he does very,very well with it no questions asked he outfished me all year with that thing. I know it doesn't compare to the Lamiglas name but i u have a tight budget that's the route to go..

The Tica TC2 10' Heavy (3-8) has been a great jigging rod for me. It can last several seasons of serious canal jigging and did everything I asked of it. Great jigging rod for under 150.

I also think it may be a good idea to stay away from rods that are much over 10' if you're planning on using it at the canal. A longer rod can take away distance if there is limited casting room behind you.

I picked up the same reel but a mojo 11' 3-8oz to do a bit of heavy jigging, big swim bait, and bouncing sluggos. Also a lot of larger plugging/pencils/sebiles and such.

I hope the reel gets me more then 2 years or so....

I agree with General too, I used that Tsunami rod for two years. For under $150 or whatever it was it was lights out for the heavier stuff I did.

I have 1 on a 11" Lami Super Surf that I use for bouncing lead in the canal, Has held up fine so far. Make sure you replace the roller bearing on the bail with the after market bearings available at most of the local shops.

I use the 6500 on a tic a dolphin MH for two years now and have had no problems at all with 55# samuri braid liked it enough after the first season got another setup last year handles 40# fish no problem