plugchucker

Delaware River smallmouth help for a new guy.

22 posts in this topic

I got turned onto smallmouth fishing last summer.It's a blast! I plan on spending alot more time this year fishing for them. I'm a wading fisherman as I'm boatless and fish the river from the Lambertville area north.So far I've caught them with twister tails on leadheads and spinner baits. Do you experienced guys have any tips to help me get better at this game? Type of water I should be targeting at different times of the year? Types of lures? Presentation? Any little trick or info would be appreciated.These guys are a blast to catch.

Your doing the right things in the right areas. I like to use zoom worms, berkley finesse worms and power grubs. On the zooms i use the mega strike jelly. It's a great time to go in the summer when other fishing slows down.

Yer in my section of the river :th:

Come July Aug, Sept. my family doesn't go to the beach, we have a few spots on the river where we go.

If you remember, shoot me a PM around then and we'll fish

Also, get a small, cheap, simple, sit on top kayak , and learn how to catch hellgrammites - trust me !

What he said about hellgramites. Also once you learn how to catch them (you can research it online) you'll also catch tiny catfish while catching the hellgramites, do not let them go, use them they work even better The bite is better in the spring and fall but the river is way more accesible due to low water in the summer, you can wade out to islands ect.

As far as artificails go. Senkos (the small 3 inch ones), flukes, rooster tails and spooks are all you need.

Thanks for the advice guys.Appreciate it.I'll shoot you a PM come summer Sudsy,it's always more fun to fish with someone.Anyone have any more pointers for a newbie?

do not neglect a topwater bite. some of the most fun you can have with clothes on!!! dawn and dusk is usually better but some days it can happen all day long. smallies are absolute suckers for spook type lures, there is a bit of a trick to working a spook in current in regards to line management but after a few casts you can figure it out. i prefer cross current but sometimes a creeped along spook against the current can be deadly.

do not neglect a topwater bite. some of the most fun you can have with clothes on!!! dawn and dusk is usually better but some days it can happen all day long. smallies are absolute suckers for spook type lures, there is a bit of a trick to working a spook in current in regards to line management but after a few casts you can figure it out. i prefer cross current but sometimes a creeped along spook against the current can be deadly.

X2 on what he said. Also the oldschool pop-r has done a lot of damage on that river when I used to wade it all the time back in the day.

Find where shallow flats, fast moving water drop in slower moving pools and also any type of eddies formed in deeper water. A wacky senko drifted downstream into those pools always worked. I sorta miss those days I used to wear old sneakers and grab a few packs of senkos and walk all over that river, those were simpler times :D. Now I guess I think im too cool to do those things anymore. :laugh:

dwgsmb.jpg

And watch out walking through some of the grass on the islands along the Delaware. I'm not talking about snakes, im talking about the actual grass. In the summer with shorts on some of the grass will cut your legs up pretty good, nice burn once you dip back into the water. :D

Apollo is just breakin my stones since he knows I hate snakes,but ask him who saved him the day a helicopter sized bee/wasp landed on his head.:shock:

Any small current break or seam even in the middle of seemingly raging rapids can hold fish. They sometimes hold in water just like trout do. The slower sections near current generally hold more and better fish but dont overlook the faster water especially in the summer (which is really the only time I ever fish for them so I dont know if the same holds true in the spring and fall)

Not looking for anyone's honey hole just want to fly fish for smallies. Will be wadding can someone give me some help on where to go.

Edited by Ghostr