Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason V

What rod would you put on a Stella SW 5000?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Just bought a nice used Stella 5000.  Will only use it on the boat.  Want to take it on the sound and trips.

Still have to spool it with some braid.  Most likely new PowerPro, but curious what rod to put it on.  Someone in here has it set up with a Loomis Greenwater 901GLX which I'm thinking of. (7'10", mag medium power, 1/4 to 1oz weight, 10-17lb line weight)

Any advice? I'll spend cha-ching cause this will be my overall favorite setup. (more compact/smaller than an 8000 sized reel),used for small blues/bass to everything else.

Thoughts?

I have a few Terez's which I like and Greenwater on a smaller rod. I have two Pro-Blue Shimano's casting for my Talicas.

Would appreciate any thoughts-Thanks guys!

Fishing from a boat you really don't need a long rod. I like the 8' St Croix either Legend or the Mojo with that reel.

Century Custom on the left Mojo on the right...............:D

Jason - the 901s GLX is the 7'6" version. The 7'10" greenwater is the 941s GLX. I have a 901s GLX paired with a Stella 4000FE and i absolutely love it. Super sensitive, cast things a mile, and will hold its value for years should I ever need to swap it out or upgrade. I was waffling with the 4000FE vs the 5000SW, and because most of my fish will be perfectly within reason for a 4000 class reel, I went for the 4000FE. The extra line capacity of the 5000 wasn't worth the tradeoff in weight, and not to mention i dont plan on dunking the FE or using it in the surf. However, when I get around to upgrading my small surf outfit, I will also be buying with light offshore use in mind, and will no doubt turn to the 5000SW. When that happens, it will most likely come down the 7'6" options again from Loomis, but I may lean towards the Pro Blue model.

I have my 5000 SW on a Loomis PBR 843S and an older 4000 on a St. Croix Legend inshore. Both are very nice combos for boat use.

Unfortunately , St.Croix discontinued them and replaced them with the Mojo Inshore. I have a Avid Inshore which i love and the Tidemaster's are excellent also with over 50 different models to choose from.:th::th:

I had all Chaos rods built for me when I got the boat. Any St Croix or Loomis will also do.

As far as braid I like the Jerry Brown on that reel & also the Sufix 832

Not a great fan of Power Pro

Chaos rods pictured I got 3 Convevtion & 3 Spinning rods.

Thanks guys!  Chaos rods hopefully you have an older one.  My friend in boca has no luck with 2 of those, got his money back (butts fell off, guide broke).

I have a pro-blue 944 S (same rod as the PBR 843 S but a foot longer and that's what I'll put it on!!!).  I was going to put in on a Terez also, and if I go with a 7' rod I will.

What are the diffferences iwth the pro-blue vs pro-green?

Haven't used this pro-blue yet, but it's light as hell!

Good stuff guys!