Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NorsekJ

What do yall use to clean and protect your kayaks.

38 posts in this topic

The best thing to use is fish slime. LOTS of it. Make sure to apply it with lots of different fish to camouflage your sent away.

:D

Seriously, I try to avoid using any kinds of soap on my kayaks. I fish in shallow water and believe that soap scent can affect the fishing. I rinse my kayak off with fresh water and will take a brush to any laden debris that is tough to get off.

When I get home from a day on the lake, I just spray down the kayak with water, wipe her with a microfibler cloth and put her away. Lake Mead has an evasive species of Quagga Mussels and wiping down the boat is a good idea, especially when fishing other waters like the small mountain lakes in the northern part of the state.

Ever so often, II"ll wash the yak with water and laundry soap then use WD-40 to wipe down the top and sides.

**NHANgler **I hear that WD-40 can be used as fish attractant so I may have a 12 foot fish magnet ;)

Fresh water and a nylon push brush after each trip, stored inside out of the sun. Before my first trip this season i will hit it with the supplied hobbie uv protectant, I think good old armoral or blackmagic would do the job aswell.

I just wash my kayak with a mild car wash type soap and apply 303 every few trips depending how much exposure it gets. So far so good.

That's pretty much how I do it. Gets the fish slime and scum off and helps protect the hull from UV. I did get bored last year and wax mine one time.... waste of time but it sure looked shinny...lol

Fresh water and a nylon push brush after each trip, stored inside out of the sun. Before my first trip this season i will hit it with the supplied hobbie uv protectant, I think good old armoral or blackmagic would do the job aswell.

I wish that was the case it would certainly be more affordable. Their UV level of protection is much lower than the 303 and Mcnett products ,which as of now are as good as you will find.

That's pretty much how I do it. Gets the fish slime and scum off and helps protect the hull from UV. I did get bored last year and wax mine one time.... waste of time but it sure looked shinny...lol

It used to drive me nuts when no matter how hard i tried the yak kept getting scratches. I learned it's impossible to keep them away and even more impossible to try and get rid of them.

Never wash my kayaks. Never seen UV damage over 20 years in the business. "Are we men or are we mice" I dont remember what movie that qoute was from but I always liked it.