Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H'Islander

Good jam sessions and how to tell them apart....what're you playin'?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Perma-grime and string grooves - and sometimes wood splinters all around the drum kit

Ouch!! :shock: U gotta get them there callouses growin.......... Mine seem to be permanent. I'm playin' my 40 year old P-Bass strung with stainless round wound Roto's and every jam session is great. The best jams are always when we have guest musicians sit it. You never know what's gonna happen, but it's all beautiful. :D Practices can get boring but the live gig is the reward. ;)

Wow, just startin' out picked up an acoustic Fender and discovery acoustics for my boys. Guess it's gonna be painful building up them callouses!!!! BTW, any good tutorials teaching not only myself but 5 year olds how to play?

Learn the basics .

You tube has how to's:

Start small learn the scales etc , learn how to properly tune it .

x2 - Youtube has tons of step by step tutorials on learning your favorite songs. Learn the scales and the major chords. Those become the launch pad for a whole new world of enjoyment. Can't tell you how much fun it is to play, FenBen is right about jamming with friends/family too. We get silly on a few beers and get our whole dock going sometimes. It's a riot.

Play. Practice. Take lessons. Don't give up. There is no short route, there is only the route. Don't dick around practicing (eg don't watch the hockey game while doing scales). Always tune before you play, ALWAYS. Use a metronome

to practice scales. Memorize the E and A string fretboard positions. Understand the major scale, practice the Pentatonic minor and major pattern. Pick ONE and learn it cold and by cold I mean that you could be revived from a coma and start an

A minor scale before your heart gets a regular beat going. It isn't necessary to be making noise all the time. SPACE. Simpler is better. The EAR rules ALL rules; If it sounds right, it is right, if it don't, it ain't.

Thx fellas, headed the advice and looked up the youtube and now it's a journey I'm about to begin.... BTW, I'm half-a-sisterpants with this fingertip callous thingy!