Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nipsip

Deja Vu All Over Again

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Remember way back in 2008 when gas was $4 a gallon. It's that time again and if you are looking for more than one car that gets 50mpg in highway and city, it is still the Prius.

Remember when pick-ups and large SUVs were piling up on dealer lots and at the big 3? It's that time again.

People should be angry that all the big 3 have done is to advertise pick-ups and SUVs for the last 3+ years and don't have a single SUV or truck that gets 30mpg on the highway, forget about city.

The new paradigm is going to be keeping that ICE car/truck you have and the next new car will be a 50mpg one or an EV.

The price of gas means everything to the US economy, but little to me, personally. During the warmer months, I put more miles on my bicycle than my gas guzzling SUV. But, if the price of gas should ever get to me, I'll just make up the difference from my charitable giving to 'progressive' causes. ;)

Since the Eco-Nazis and their goose stepping leader, Der Fueher Obama, didn't get their desired eco dividends with the carrot, they are now bound & determined to get said results from the stick. Prepare to be whipped to death under Obama's gas price cane! :squid:

Some might say that the President has no control over gas prices. This editorial from the Washington Examiner thinks differently:

Here's another energy 'silver bullet' Obama should fire

With gas prices heading toward $4 per gallon and beyond, President Obama repeatedly declares that "there are no silver bullets" to make the numbers on service station pumps go back down and that it is impossible "to drill our way" out of trouble. In fact, a look at rig counts in the natural gas industry during recent years points to a different conclusion. According to the Baker Hughes Rotary Rig Count, between March 2007 and May 2008, the number of rigs drilling for natural gas soared to more than 1,600. As the accompanying chart shows, during the same period, the spot price of natural gas rose steadily from $255.96 per thousand cubic meters to $405.63. The next month, June 2008, saw natural gas hit its recent high at $456.57. But then, as supplies grew as a result of the increased number of rigs in action, the price of natural gas plummeted and has continued doing so ever since, falling below $100 in January this year. America has gone from having too little natural gas to a historic surplus. Most of the increased natural gas production took place on private or state-controlled lands, not on federal lands.

There is no reason not to expect a similar pattern on oil prices -- if the federal government would allow the free market to work. The price per barrel of the benchmark West Texas Intermediate crude oil has steadily risen from below $80 in January 2010 to above $100 at present, even as the number of rigs at work drilling for oil has gone from under 400 to more than 1,200. To be sure, rig counts are far from the only factor determining the market price of natural gas and oil at any given time. But because the federal government issues permits for federal lands and offshore areas, the pace at which Washington approves drilling applications has a direct bearing on supplies and therefore prices. The current uptick in oil rig counts primarily reflects permits issued before the beginning of the Obama administration.

The number of approvals for drilling in the Outer Continental Shelf in the Gulf of Mexico -- which accounts for a third of all U.S. oil production -- under Obama has plunged from more than seven per month to only three. Measured in terms of how long is required for the government to consider a permit application, the average for the five years before Obama was 60.6 days. The average is now almost 110 days, according to the Institute for Energy Research. Viewed in terms of the percentage of all permits sought that are approved, the five-year average before Obama was 73 percent. Today under Obama, it is 23 percent and falling. In other words, it is almost certain that the oil-drilling rig count will head back down in coming months, but it will be in response to government interference rather than as a result of price fluctuations. And the price of gas at the pump will continue to go higher.

Remember way back in 2008 when gas was $4 a gallon. It's that time again and if you are looking for more than one car that gets 50mpg in highway and city, it is still the Prius.

Remember when pick-ups and large SUVs were piling up on dealer lots and at the big 3? It's that time again.

People should be angry that all the big 3 have done is to advertise pick-ups and SUVs for the last 3+ years and don't have a single SUV or truck that gets 30mpg on the highway, forget about city.

The new paradigm is going to be keeping that ICE car/truck you have and the next new car will be a 50mpg one or an EV.

Only weenies and eco-warriors drive Prius cars. I'll take my 12 mpg Ford truck over those anyday.

Quote:

Thats cause they have v 8's in them.

Can you explain why OBAMAS trucks dont get 30 mpg?

I wonder if this time when gas is this high it is still Bush's fault? It was Bush's fault last time.

This time it is NOT Barry's fault... we have been told so.

So I wonder if it is still Bush's fault?

I have such trouble figuring this all out...

I wonder if this time when gas is this high it is still Bush's fault? It was Bush's fault last time.

This time it is NOT Barry's fault... we have been told so.

So I wonder if it is still Bush's fault?

I have such trouble figuring this all out...

Seems to me that you've got it down pat. Republicans are 100% wrong, and always to blame. All day, every day, all of the time. We're wascally, and ebil. ;)