Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mumichog

What I Was Doing While It Snowed Last Week

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

My dad generously flies me down to Florida for a week each winter to his rental in St. Pete on the ocean.  The weather was just fantastic this year: 80ish, light breezes, mostly sunny, every day!  We caught some fish from shore: ladyfish, black drum, flounder, sheepshead, but the highlight was our guided trip with Capt. Kevin Walton.  He got us into plenty of fish (and a trophy tern for me!), trout and reds mostly, some pretty big.  He topped the day off by getting some dolphins to ride in his wake (about 8 knots) for a good mile or more on our way back to the launch.  Boy, I wish I could spend the whole winter down south - that warm sun really feels great.  Thanks Dad!

IMG_6237.JPGtrout.JPGdads trout.JPGdoplhins.JPGdolphns2.JPGIMG_6247.JPG

I stay warm by cutting, splitting and stacking wood, I like your way better. I miss being in the Coast Guard and taking the cruises south in the winter. I was looking at some pictures a while ago and man that water down there is beautiful. Glad ya had a good trip.

Nice tern! I got a double last season at the canal.  biggrin.gif

A week down south really helps break up the winter. I'm heading to Myrtle Beach this week but not to fish. Gonna chase a stupid little white ball around.

Nice tern! I got a double last season at the canal.  :D

A week down south really helps break up the winter. I'm heading to Myrtle Beach this week but not to fish. Gonna chase a stupid little white ball around.

What's her name? ;)

Gents, thank you for your replies.  Got my dad to take a look at the thread (he's never been on SOL before), he was pumped.  He taught me to fish when I was very young, can't thank him enough for turning me on to what's been a lifelong passion.  For better or worse, fishing has steered me through the roses and the warts.  Thanks again Dad.

And thanks again to Capt. Kevin Walton  (NonstopCharters) of St. Petersburg, FL.  We picked him out blindly and he's been great to fish with.