Bottom paint?

Rate this topic

So I bought a 21ft W/A last year that had a painted bottom. Even tho I trailer the boat I'm gonna paint it this spring, or sooner. What should I use if I want something that looks good and that will last more then a year.

IMHO if you are trailering U don't need paint. Get rid of it. What's slicker/faster/more efficient? Paint or smooth fibergalss? ;) Power wash once in a while to get rid of the slime... :D Just my $0.02 sense :wee:

"All people have the right to stupidity but some abuse the privilege" wink.gif

IMHO if you are trailering U don't need paint. Get rid of it. What's slicker/faster/more efficient? Paint or smooth fibergalss? ;) Power wash once in a while to get rid of the slime... :D Just my $0.02 sense :wee:

I say the same if you are going to trailer it don't paint it there is no need.

R.I.P.DAD LOVE U..
R.I.P.JEFF HEATH..

i've found that multiseason paints sometimes dont react well with regular bottom paints. a few years ago i bought interlux micron extra and spent about $230 for a gallon. i had bought a new to me boat and i didnt know what was on the bottom but micron extra seemed to be the most compatible. i did my prep work by powerwashing, scraping and sanding. applied by the directions and at the end of the year when i pulled the boat out more than half the paint was peeling and had worn away, but the paint from the previous owner was still adhered to the hull. seemed like a bad reaction. a waste of money unless you fully strip the bottom or know exactly what is on there. if your gonna strip the bottom might as well leave it if its not gonna be in the water.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by i07nyc View Post

i've found that multiseason paints sometimes dont react well with regular bottom paints. a few years ago i bought interlux micron extra and spent about $230 for a gallon. i had bought a new to me boat and i didnt know what was on the bottom but micron extra seemed to be the most compatible. i did my prep work by powerwashing, scraping and sanding. applied by the directions and at the end of the year when i pulled the boat out more than half the paint was peeling and had worn away, but the paint from the previous owner was still adhered to the hull. seemed like a bad reaction. a waste of money unless you fully strip the bottom or know exactly what is on there. if your gonna strip the bottom might as well leave it if its not gonna be in the water.

False. From the problem you have described it was a prep issue. Some type of soap or grease was still on the hull or had saturated into the old paint. Not saying you did a bad job or anything like that but if it is a new to you boat strip it to the gel and start fresh. Any ablative (sloughing) paint will be fine on the trailer. You want a harder paint if your run bunks less if rollers ect. If  you don't keep it in the water don't waste your money on 200+ dollar per gallon, It wont make a difference in that situation. I have been painting the bottoms on my boats for almost 25 years and haven't really seen much difference between the top end and the bottom-mid grade stuff. Copper content is great throw in a 1/2 cup of  fresh cayenne pepper and paint away. Go to some of the commercial fishing sites to find out the real way to paint a bottom even if you hate commercial fishing they know how to make something that works good, work even better.