Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Acedoc

can i cast a 55 gm spoon on 15 lb test line ?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

According to my math, that's about 2 oz. I think you might have to use a lob (i.e., gentle) cast if you are going to toss this on 15# test. Why not use 30# braid, then you can wail away.

With a shock leader you should have no problems ... the 55 gram lure is most likely under the sweetspot on that rod so you will not have good feel for the lure during the cast. This is the issue with the rod/line in my opinion. I have used 17 lb test (17 lb test was the highest lb test before the cost jump) for years to cast up to 3 ounces on an 11 foot surf rod w/o an issue.

According to my math, that's about 2 oz. I think you might have to use a lob (i.e., gentle) cast if you are going to toss this on 15# test. Why not use 30# braid, then you can wail away.

thanks guys ! why i asked instead of doing it was that i do not have access to any place where i can cast before i reach the river where i plan to fish.

as to the above i cant use braid and have gone back to mono as the river where i am gonna fish is rocky with rapids and braid and rocks dont go well together.

thanks !