Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Watch Squidlips head explode - a few article scans from Saltwater Sportsman from the 70's

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Fishing the cores with Franny. It don't get much better than that. :)

On a somewhat sadder note, I'll be selling off my original live well on Sunday at the Asbury flea market.

Good post Sudsy.

Any chance you could photocopy them at work tomorrow and toss em in the mail? I hang out with Frank fairly often, now that he's changed his evil ways and I'm sure he would love to see them.

Check PMs.

They were there, you just didn't see them hiding there in full view.

They're not there now so I'm assuming you found them.

"The term Benny came frome the tags that were put on the lugage at the old train line that used to run to Bergen, Essex, New York, ETC.

the Tag would read BENY meaning to transfer the baggage to the northern line."

Now it's more an acronym for Bergen, Edison, Newark, New Yawk.

I asked my dad about the whiting fishing after I read the article. He knew exactly what I was talking about and had done it himself. Not on that exact night, but he had fished the Long Branch pier. I never knew. We had happened to be going to the funeral services for a family friend. My uncle was also there. My dad said, "Tell him about the pier and whiting fishing." With out missing a beat my uncles said, "Man we used to walk off that pier with bushels of fish." One night my uncle and another guy were in a bar in North Jersey looking for something to do. My uncle suggested going to the pier to fish. They got their gear, drove down and it was howling. They randomly met another guy from town who just happened to be down also. He said that they weren't catching anything. Some old timer told my uncle to wait, that the fish would be there. Sure enough, maybe as the tide came in, the bite started at the tip and worked it way down the pier. Good stuff.

Quick question, what happened to whiting fishing? Were they outfished? Or is there still fishing, but it's just not as conducive from the jettys?