Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Antagonizer

1st Attempt at Airbrush - Feedback requested

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, here's my 1st attempt with the airbrush. (popper, AYC) After sealing and then a base of white, I used med. gray and then pearlized silver for the scales. (createx) I know I was way to close as the scales are a bit runny in places but my main question is.... Is it too dark?

Will the e-tex bring it to life a bit?

Any tips / suggestions?

[img=

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3214580/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

Very nice, clean scales there......not sure if the bubbles were from the wood? I tend to mix my paint a little tighter for my detail work and light coats....as many as it takes........thay baby will POP with some e-tex on it, trow a littleglitterer dust in before applying and good to go.

Much better than my first couple of scale nightmares. I've learned. get base coat colors on, spray with couple coats of enamel clear, let dry, then no harm.

well done make sure to post some pic with the clear coat on.

MS

Good paint MS gives some good advise. Thin paint and maybe cut back on pressure. Lighter coats may solve problem. That will pop when you put a finish coat on. Next fish you catch all scales aren't perfect. That's a fish catcher.

looks good

It is hard to tell if what we are calling bubbles is from a heat source blistering the primer or paint. It may also have just needed a bit of sanding after sealing or priming.

Not to dark…you could be even darker and the thing can still catch.

you def have the netting attached well and you know to back up a bit. next go around as you back up think about applying less paint toward the head and angle the gun and your scales will fade away nicer on the belly.

Very nice, clean scales there......not sure if the bubbles were from the wood? I tend to mix my paint a little tighter for my detail work and light coats....as many as it takes........thay baby will POP with some e-tex on it, trow a littleglitterer dust in before applying and good to go.

Much better than my first couple of scale nightmares. I've learned. get base coat colors on, spray with couple coats of enamel clear, let dry, then no harm.

well done make sure to post some pic with the clear coat on.

MS

MS are you saying to spray clear over your base coats then spray your scales? Thanks.

Mojo,

Yup, If you give the plug a coat of spray enamel if you make a mistake with the detail work you can probably save it with wiping it down with water. You can also get an amazing layered effect if you epoxy between base coat and detail coats.

MS

i concur with MS...i have even scratched my base coats off to bare white with some of the netting i use for scales...im learning to protect what is "done" with a quick spray of clear coat...protects your prior work and gives a good foundation to add layers...

your first attempt looks great...i personally prefer a larger white belly...usually will make your scales details more prominent to the eye...

Mojo,

Yup, If you give the plug a coat of spray enamel if you make a mistake with the detail work you can probably save it with wiping it down with water. You can also get an amazing layered effect if you epoxy between base coat and detail coats.

MS

What's the drying time for the clear enamel?