Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nick2cd

How do i get started?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I'd love to start building plugs. the problem is, i have no idea where to begin. i've been reading in this section of the forum in an attempt to figure it out but most of the threads are so focused, i can't get a broad "how to" view.

Alot of us started with dowels and a belt sander and then bought machinery as money allowed , DO NOT start this thinking you will SAVE money!:D

Nick, it all depends on what YOU want from a building experience. What kind of fishing you do and what kind of lures do you want to use...these are very important questions. Once you have arrived at some answer, research the hell out of the type of build you want to do..ask questions and make some mistakes. Nothing teaches us better than experiencing failures..

Start with a simpler design. That will probably be best til you gain more confidence. Use the search tool and ask a lot of questions. You will be surprised at the help you;ll get here.

And, as it's been said here before...welcome to the madness!!

DO NOT start this thinking you will SAVE money!:D

RUN as fast as you can!!!! It can get expensive but when that 1st fish latches onto your home made plug it's Awesome.

And I'm still building in the red. I thought someday I'd break even LOL

I bet you don't believe that.( that you will break even). funny how something always seems to break... wears out or a bigger better option comes out and you just gotta have it...

My wife says it's better than me drinking in a bar... she knows where I am.... and what I;'m doing.. and should i perish under a pile of saw dust.. she can sell my stuff to get enough to give me propper burial... if ther's anything left she's going to buy a big bottle of single mault...sit on the porch and relish the peace and quiet!

My best advise is to start slow... learn the basics before running out to spend a fortune... plug building is not for everyone...

I would do alot of reading here so you get an idea of what the processes are and then get a few kits to try first, take your time and rush any of the steps. Then fish the lures you made, you learn so much that way. When you have specific questions the guys on this forum will have your answers. Good luck

Basically two directions to go in. Hand carve or turned. The best tutorial on hand carves may have been posted by “The Greek”. I am sure many others did it that way before him and a few may have even posed tutorials, but that is the best one I have come across.

If you are looking to turn plugs than you need to find a lathe and practice making shapes. Don’t even think about plugs, just spend a few hours, days…learning how to remove wood as you intend to.

Welcome to the madness. Here's what I've learned from this website and since I started a couple of years ago: There are a lot of people who will tell you that you won't save any money....total load of crap:mad:. If you buy good used tools, and are smart about where you buy your materials then you will save money. Ask around...there are a lot of woodworking places out there that if you ask nicely enough they will be happy to offload some scraps to you for free, but more than likely the will charge you a small fee for a bucket of scrap. (Woodworkers Warehouse throws away all sorts of GOOD WOOD all the time so stop in and ask, you'd be surprised what you can get). Find quality used tools and your ahead of the game. If your goal is to make it a hobby, then keep it that way. There's no need to spend needless thousands of $$$$ to buy all this fnacy equipment. You'll have fun when you get going and be creative!

There is a thread by Woodbuster. "How to build a plug" maybe someone can find it. It shows you everything you need to know except how much it costs. :shock:

First things first. How much do you want to Spend? Do you want to lay down the cash to Buy a Mini Lathe and all the tools required or do you just want to put together some plugs?

First things first. How much do you want to Spend? Do you want to lay down the cash to Buy a Mini Lathe and all the tools required or do you just want to put together some plugs?

i don't mind putting a little cash into it if i find it to be an enjoyable hobby. it seems like it will be a somewhat natural transition for me as i already enjoy woodworking. i do not, however, have a lathe.