Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wchestnut

March 2012 Freshwater Fishing Reports

141 posts in this topic

Well folks, were into the start of Spring! Catch Em Up!

Thanks for another great thread last month and for being considerate. Thanks for sharing your pics, stories and also sharing the knowledge.

Same rules as always:

Report as little or as much as you wish but no "spot burning" for private freshwater areas that have limited access. I do not think it is a problem posting a report naming lakes like Round Valley, Lake Hopatcong or any of the other large lakes that can accommodate large groups of fishermen. But, once again, giving specific locations in those lakes is considered spot burning.

If there is something reported that you do not agree with or consider a spot burn, report the post. Do not further burn the spot by quoting a spot burn.

The theme will be learning how to catch fish, not where to fish.

Another banner morning at the Little lake!

Caught a 4 species GRAND SLAM again today with LMB, Black Crappie, Chain Pickerel, and a NICE Yellow Perch.

All Fish were caught on minnows under a bobber except for one pickerel which was caught on a 165 slow sinking magic swimmer.

I should be posting a report and picture of my new personal best striped bass and biggest freshwater fish I've ever caught. Unfortunately luck was on the side of the mythical striped whale tonight. I fished far and wide tonight and after coming up blank I headed back to the house and stopped off at a neighbors dock light. On the 4th cast I hooked a monster!! After 10 or so minutes I brought her up to the surface and I would say she was an easy 40+lb fish and then she took a hard run down and to my right and inexplicably the hook just pulled....... And now it's nothing but a fish story and this one will be a tough one to swallow for a long long time. Gonna be hard to brush this one off and get any enjoyment out of this spring without catching a monster of close size.

The ones that get away "for a serious fisherman" or hunter..... you will find over time are actually the best in the long run. Two examples of many.

Just last year, I have a burning desire to catch a musky (which I suck at) on top water. Two weeks in the dead of summer, prime for large here. Cast, cast, cast, cast, days, days, days, days. Finally, on a stupid cast....large, 45+ probably a 50 she came completely out of the water and hooked up. However, she screwed me....did what I didn't expect, broke me off where she came from, a large fall on shore, after dancing around beautifully mid river. I will see that fish coming out of the water in all her glory forever.

70's in PA. A large deer at that time was maybe a small basket 8, perhaps a 10 that looked ok but not really big. Foggy morning, 60 yards away, fog moving in and out, he's got his head down doing the "walk". I have about 45 seconds to pick a shot......"really" nice deer. Scope on, just take a step....fog. Stay calm, anticipate....scope on, just take a step, fog !!!!! Beyond my sight. Run just above and beyond the ridge, anticipate, look, look, look.....nothing. Lower the gun, take a breath nothing. Look up.....30 yards away broad side....too late. Gone in the mist.

That's why we do this stuff....memories burned in our brains forever that no one can ever take away.

The ones that get away "for a serious fisherman" or hunter..... you will find over time are actually the best in the long run. Two examples of many.

Just last year, I have a burning desire to catch a musky (which I suck at) on top water. Two weeks in the dead of summer, prime for large here. Cast, cast, cast, cast, days, days, days, days. Finally, on a stupid cast....large, 45+ probably a 50 she came completely out of the water and hooked up. However, she screwed me....did what I didn't expect, broke me off where she came from, a large fall on shore, after dancing around beautifully mid river. I will see that fish coming out of the water in all her glory forever.

70's in PA. A large deer at that time was maybe a small basket 8, perhaps a 10 that looked ok but not really big. Foggy morning, 60 yards away, fog moving in and out, he's got his head down doing the "walk". I have about 45 seconds to pick a shot......"really" nice deer. Scope on, just take a step....fog. Stay calm, anticipate....scope on, just take a step, fog !!!!! Beyond my sight. Run just above and beyond the ridge, anticipate, look, look, look.....nothing. Lower the gun, take a breath nothing. Look up.....30 yards away broad side....too late. Gone in the mist.

That's why we do this stuff....memories burned in our brains forever that no one can ever take away.

That's what makes the best memories IMO. Just can't let it mess with you over time.

Trying to figure out the Susquehanna River- I tried out a Coffee Tube on a 3/8 oz. jighead but no takers. Then went to a Rapala Flat Rap- no dice. Went to a couple of Bomber FW Bass plugs- nothing Honey. Evene tried a Senko- zero. :skunk:

I did snag a big Carp and came up with a hookfull of scales. :bucktooth:

A couple of them, actually.

I didn't really have my **** together- freshwater fishing-wise. I got all my lures and plastic together last night. This is gonna be a great year for me- fishing-wise! :)

I might try for the big Catfish this weekend as well as Smallies again.

I should be posting a report and picture of my new personal best striped bass and biggest freshwater fish I've ever caught. Unfortunately luck was on the side of the mythical striped whale tonight. I fished far and wide tonight and after coming up blank I headed back to the house and stopped off at a neighbors dock light. On the 4th cast I hooked a monster!! After 10 or so minutes I brought her up to the surface and I would say she was an easy 40+lb fish and then she took a hard run down and to my right and inexplicably the hook just pulled....... And now it's nothing but a fish story and this one will be a tough one to swallow for a long long time. Gonna be hard to brush this one off and get any enjoyment out of this spring without catching a monster of close size.

What's up- is the spawn going to start early this year? :)

This kind of thing forces you to make sure you pay attention to detail such as making sure your hooks are razor sharp etc.

Always frustrating losing a big fish, especially when it happens, but even after. But if the fish never win, it wouldn't be fun anymore.

:th: It would be catching instead of fishing. It enforces humbleness to mother nature....a good thing !!!!

Nice post Jersey...I'm still comin unanounced. :D

Got out yesterday. Pretty chilly with 20 mph winds and 40 degree temps without the wind chill factored in. Managed to catch one about 2 lbs on a LC pointer close to shore. Nothing else after that, but I was happy to finally have my new Curado E5 see water :D

Lucky crafts out produce other baits once again

Congrats Koofy!! Still behind getting out to my small local lake, been rebuilding a jon boat over the winter & still have a few more things to finish on it.

One thing I noticed this weekend. There were a lot of frogs in a small pool next to the river that may have been mating or something. They were pretty noisey but i couldn't get a good look at what kind they were.

I remember that when I was a kid in grade school we used to see tadpoles around even when there was ice still on the ponds.