Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glenn Bass

Need a reel to go with my new 10'6 Mojo Surf that I picked up at Surf Day.

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Fellow Surf Casters,

What reel would be a good fit to the "Mojo Surf" (10'6")" rod?

I can't afford a VS. Is there a reel in the medium price range that is adequate for this rod? I need a few suggestions.

Thanks,

GB

Penn battle is around a $100 and a Penn 650 ssm is about $130.  Also you can pick up an old school 704z which is an awesome surf reel for under a $100 and is a tank. You can find one that is in really good condition for around a $100. Just make sure to keep it packed with grease.  

i fished that rod two years ago and i loved it, back then i was using a saltist 6000. its a good reel for the money. it was a little heavy, so maybe go with a smaller model

I would go with one of the Shimano propulsion spool lipped reels. They seem like they were made for these rods. Reels with a spool diameter between 56 - 61mm have proven to me to perform best with the layout that these rods have. I'm not saying other reels don't work as well, but with the great line lay and smaller coils these reels seem to throw i prefer them.

I have used a Slammer 560 in the past and they work well also but just not quite as effortlessly as the Shimano's. Models to consider, Spheros, Saragosa,Stradic would be the three i would look at first, and they are reasonably priced. The Stradic FJ has the best oscillation system Shimano offers in it's aerowrap II , the Saragosa and Spheros use aerowave except the two largest Saragosa's which utilize aerowrap which is just below aerowrap II . All of them wrap line very well though.

Thanks for your responses. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Someone told me to get the Stradic 8000. Does anyone have an opinion on this reel?

It's a great reel, but really depends on how wet you plan on getting it. If you plan on dunking your reels you will do well to get a sealed reel but if not i would go with the Saragosa. The new Penns i don't have much experience with, but have lost my confidence in them over the last few years. I bought two 550ssg's and am very unhappy with gear durability and their line wrapping.

Check out the VM150.  I have it paired with my 10' 6" mojo and love the setup.  Check out the review for this reel on this site.  Great reel, easy to maintain, and sealed for protection. 

There is no sense in getting a sealed reel if you rarely if ever get the reel wet. There are far smoother and better casting reels if you don't think you will get yours wet all the time.