Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lockbox

Fish Story's

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

due to winter doldrums. I think a few fish story's by all might be fun.I will tell you of one of mine that i feel was interesting. the time was late October at montauk about 10 years ago, the time was about 1400 hrs 200 p.m. the tide was about half out i was waist deep at false bar the bite was on. more blues than Bass. i put a b.m. Donnie 8 inch Danny on Blue with a white belly. i waited for the blues to pass then i started plugging Now my story is not truly about the fish i caught it is about what transpired after attempting to release the beauty i caught. i will go back to my catch, After throwing my lures a few times a Cow hit the lure taking the lure out of the water with the lure in her mouth the onlookers from shore made noise of excitement observing this beautiful site. i would say she was out of the water a body length. She was a large bass a truly great fighting bass she splashed the water with klarge tail sweeps numerous times while attempting to bring her in. i fought this beauty brought her in .at a guess she was in the 30 pound class. now due to the fact that i took a fish earlier i knew she would be released. I took the hooks out of her grabbed this beauty in-front of her large finned tail and attempted to revive her before sending her off like a large submarine .If you know what i mean. At this time and place a man in a suit that's right a man in a suit came into to the water up to his waist. by this time a croud has gathered on the beach watching him and me.and when i attempted to let her go he attempted to grab her to take her from my release from captivity. i informed this man that if he attempted to take her he would have big problems with me .Because she is my fish and i which to release her,He offered my $75 dollars for my fish. i said know he then offered $100.00 dollars for my fish i stated no. i made sure she got back to the sea to be caught another day. Now the crowd observed what transpired .When i got back to my truck people started coming over to me with beers putting them on the-Hood of my truck. there was at least 40 beers on my front hood with cheers from the onlookers thanking me. because i did not sell my bass to that guy. The guy in the suit told onlookers that he would ship the bass back to japan to be sold. I only thought that happened with tuna. well of course that night after fishing was a good drinking night and a day of fishing i will never forget. a good fish story is a good story that all would like to here about so please lets here a few thanks Bob

"A night to remember"

it was september 1984,high tide,wind howling from the south/our right side.

water was warm and kept us warm.

there we stood like soldiers waiting for the tide to spool up.

every so often one of us would sling out a big daddy goo-goo eyes swimmer.

it was me,steve franco his brother mike,our friend Malibu Kenny and another friend Nick Esposito.

we were on the rocks behind some oil storage tanks in new haven harbor.

at this time,there were no bass around,never saw one till 2 years later.

all we had was alligator choppers and very large up to 45 inches.

my rig was a white lamiglas custom magnum surf stick with a daiwa GS-3 spinner loaded with 17 JT mono.

steve has a custom 7 foot lami with a daiwa GS-20 full of 20 ande.

malibu Kenny had an 8 foot custom honey lami with a daiwa GS-6 full of 25 ande.

big mike had an 8 foot white magnum mated to a daiwa 4000-C full of stren blue/clear 25 mono.

mike makes a cast it lands between the big swells that were rolling into the harbor,his goo-goo gets slammed by a huge gator,he lays into it and a fight is on.

we all launch our wood out and we get bashed,,I hook into a heavy fish and it got off.

out of 5 fish hooked 3 get landed.big strong gators,all over 16 pounds.

it was a total battle as we all hooked up many times.

we caught some of them oddlly colored gators with the lime green backs,mine was a huge gator,46 inches long and later it weight in at 22.5 pounds.several of them were over 18 pounds with 2 in the low 20's.

steves gator clocked in at 20.2 pounds and when it was all over we,the 5 of us landed 67 gators in 3 hrs-40 minutes.

we were all beat to crap,wind burned,raw fingered and our wood beat to hell.

they were still slamming but,we could not cast anymore,they won that battle,we lost a dozen plugs and were totally happy.

what a grand night,so many fish,so many hits and so much fun.

never had it like that since.

there were no splashes,no trace at all of any fish,they were just laying there,crazy but,the best damn time we ever had together!

H-H

:p

I was with my buddy fishing Scargo Pond in Dennis Mass. We had been fly fishing all morning We had been tying our own flys. (Mickey finns) I got hung up on a branch under water and lost my last Mickey finn. So I ty on a cahill fly and about 10 cast later, I get hung up again. I pull on it a couple of times and it brakes lose. I look down and there is my Mickey Finn hanging off the other hook. barb to barb . It was my fly that I had tied, Thats one for Ripley's Believe it or not.

well if you guys are not going to give up a good story i have another which i found great, many years ago while fishing demo on long island i was fishing the front end surf after a storm a fishermen was next to me fishing . his son was to small to fish in the large surge of the surf his boy was probably 10 years of age. behind us was a large pool of water let by this large storm salt water of course it looked like a small pond . he told his boy to fish the pond . i felt to keep his son safe and so he could fish without a worry. well we all fished catching small bass in the 12 to 15 pound class all of a sudden his young son starts to yell and scream in excitement we turn around and this young boy has the fish of his life on while fishing this Gully the boy pulls in a 25 pounder that must have washed over into the gully that was made from the storm the water could have been close to 5 ft high in the center a deep long gully .. this funny story is not over fishermen who were in the surf there turned around and started fishing the Gully behing them after seeing the young boy pull in that Beautiful cow. it looked so odd and great at the same time, i just watched . No other fish were caught in that gully. that little boy was so proud he was the big winner that day. my friends and i cheered for him when he pulled that beauty out of the water. I went over to him and gave him one of my B.m. danny's becuase i wanted him to know he was the big winner that day. you had to be there it was so cool. who would have thought that water swept over the sand which made gully or small pond would yield a trophy bass for anyone . the young boy left the beach that day the high hook a fishermen who showed all you never know. it wasa great day for him and us all just watching his excitement fighting that cow.

The club I belonged to decided to have a buddy tournament, everyone picked partners out of a jar and we had 24 hrs to fish together! I picked and was partnered with the only female in our club. The lady was a decent angler but not fond of jetty fishing. As luck would have it I had been having a good bite at sunrise at a favorite jetty and I convinced her that we were going to get fish. When we got to the jetty we had a large swell and the tip was treacherous to say the least. After fishing for 30 minutes in the pocket I saw a swirl off the front and told my partner was going to fish the front on the next lull between the sets. I see my opening shoot to the front and make on cast and I'm tight to a good fish right away! Now the swell is coming and waves are washing over me and almost waste high. I get the fish coming and tell my partner that on the next lull she had to gaff the fish. Well she comes forward and here comes the water; she panics and runs back towards shore about 20 yards! The fish comes up on a wave does a cart wheel and goes past me towards shore and my leader breaks. I yell out @#$% and I'm pissed at her! With that I see her reach out with her gaff and pull. She gaffs the fish as it tumbled by!! WE end up winning the tournament with that fish and I had to buy her dinner caused I cursed her out.

i am hoping he is on s.o.l. that would be very very nice. he would be around 27 years of age. give or take a year.

I was inspecting a job that let me check out the beach on my way home for lunch. It was fall so i was expecting to see fish not bikinis. Lunch hour comes and as I pull over the dune I can see birds working! Waders on trying to reach the other side of the bar, where they were. Here on LI some days a good caster can and some days he can't reach the bar. I was working my casts getting far enough but getting nothing. Then I see a break about twenty feet in front of me. I rush my retrieve and make an underhand flip of the tin I had on. the line comes tight and it's fish on. I think it was a six pound Blue. I never got anything from under the birds and I was late getting back from not eating lunch.

Peace

About 10 years ago, on a Fall day during the week  I headed down to IBSP. Stopped at a local tackle shop. Overheard someone say he just caught over 100 bass. Thought to myself what a BS story. Got on the beach around 6:30, it was a overcast day,  started casting a hopkins with a tube and a teaser. I caught over 20 doubles and had caught well over 100 fish, nothing big but alot of fun.  When I tell the story can't help  think people are also  thinking it's BS!!

This past fall I was fishing IBSP. At sunrise the tide was low and we had been nailing bass by wading out to the sandbar and castng out to deeper water where the bass had sand eels pinned up against the outer bar. As the morning wore on, eventually the tide got too high and forced everyone to retreat off the sandbars and painfully watch the fish continue to slaughter the sand eels just out of casting range. I was exhausted from gettng pounded by waves on teh bar and landing fish, so I took this opportunity to head back into town, grab some grub and weigh in a fish. After some sugary food and some coffee, I was rejuvenated and ready to fish again so I start my drive back into the park, All the while thinking dammit, it's just about high tide now so if the fish don't push over the bar, this is going to be a painful several hours watching a small countries'-size fleet of boats nail fish right in front of us. So I pull onto Gillies and I see a lot of trucks with everyone standing aroudn or in their trucks, watching, as I expected, heads popping all over the place on sand eels just out of casting range. All yipped up on a caffeine and sugar I say **** it. Turn off the truck, grab my rod, and march into the water (remember, this is approaching high tide) onto one of the sand bars. I get out to where I'm up to my neck, literally jumping with the swells as they come so as not to get completely dunked. Quickly I cast out my ava with teaser between swells, and I swear the thing didn't even hit the water before the ava was inhaled and line started peeling off. So I turn around and wade / swim-jump back to the beach and start working the fish. About halfway in after the fish is tired out, I feel really hard tug and line starts peeling off. I figure ohh you realized your almost out of room huh. Well eventually I get the fish to the beach: a 38" bass on the ava and a 34" bluefish on the teaser (which explains that second run). My teaser (home-tied epoxy sand eel) is completely broken in half, hook bent completely sdeways..taht's is how hard that chopper hit it.

So needless to say guys start lining up and castnig at the waters edge. No one catching anything because they can't reach the fish. I don't know if anyone even saw me swim out to cast. I say OK that was awesome time to do that again. My heart is pounding my hands shaking in excitement/adrenaline. So I again march back into the water. Unfortnately, in my excitement, I don't realize that I'm marching into a gully now because as I was playing my last fish, I had moved down the beach about 20 yards. So it gets deeper, and deeper, and I'm like OK it should be pretty flat any minute now. Well, it just kept gettng deeper, and by the time I realized what was happening, I find myself now treading water in my waders (doesn't work btw), frantically trying to touch sand wth my tippy toes and push back towards shore. Water (50 degree water btw) is rushing over the top of my waders down my pants and my shirt. I feel my waders filling up FAST. I get a few good pushes off the sand between swells and get to where I can walk back to shore. I literally crawl onto the beach because I have about 200lbs of water in my waders. I lay in the sand to drain some so I can at least stand up, then try to take my waders off. Well, when they have taht much water in them, when you try to pull your foot out you create a vacuum, and since water is denser than I can't generate enough vacuum to pull air into the water to fill the void i'm tryng to create by pullng out my foot, so I have to tweak my legs in all kinds of directions to get the damn thngs off.

So there I stood, in my longjohns, no shirt, 40degree air temp soaking wet in front of all these onlookers looking like a complete ass. An ass with a grin from ear to ear because I was +2 fish!

This past fall I was fishing IBSP. At sunrise the tide was low and we had been nailing bass by wading out to the sandbar and castng out to deeper water where the bass had sand eels pinned up against the outer bar. As the morning wore on, eventually the tide got too high and forced everyone to retreat off the sandbars and painfully watch the fish continue to slaughter the sand eels just out of casting range. I was exhausted from gettng pounded by waves on teh bar and landing fish, so I took this opportunity to head back into town, grab some grub and weigh in a fish. After some sugary food and some coffee, I was rejuvenated and ready to fish again so I start my drive back into the park, All the while thinking dammit, it's just about high tide now so if the fish don't push over the bar, this is going to be a painful several hours watching a small countries'-size fleet of boats nail fish right in front of us. So I pull onto Gillies and I see a lot of trucks with everyone standing aroudn or in their trucks, watching, as I expected, heads popping all over the place on sand eels just out of casting range. All yipped up on a caffeine and sugar I say **** it. Turn off the truck, grab my rod, and march into the water (remember, this is approaching high tide) onto one of the sand bars. I get out to where I'm up to my neck, literally jumping with the swells as they come so as not to get completely dunked. Quickly I cast out my ava with teaser between swells, and I swear the thing didn't even hit the water before the ava was inhaled and line started peeling off. So I turn around and wade / swim-jump back to the beach and start working the fish. About halfway in after the fish is tired out, I feel really hard tug and line starts peeling off. I figure ohh you realized your almost out of room huh. Well eventually I get the fish to the beach: a 38" bass on the ava and a 34" bluefish on the teaser (which explains that second run). My teaser (home-tied epoxy sand eel) is completely broken in half, hook bent completely sdeways..taht's is how hard that chopper hit it.

So needless to say guys start lining up and castnig at the waters edge. No one catching anything because they can't reach the fish. I don't know if anyone even saw me swim out to cast. I say OK that was awesome time to do that again. My heart is pounding my hands shaking in excitement/adrenaline. So I again march back into the water. Unfortnately, in my excitement, I don't realize that I'm marching into a gully now because as I was playing my last fish, I had moved down the beach about 20 yards. So it gets deeper, and deeper, and I'm like OK it should be pretty flat any minute now. Well, it just kept gettng deeper, and by the time I realized what was happening, I find myself now treading water in my waders (doesn't work btw), frantically trying to touch sand wth my tippy toes and push back towards shore. Water (50 degree water btw) is rushing over the top of my waders down my pants and my shirt. I feel my waders filling up FAST. I get a few good pushes off the sand between swells and get to where I can walk back to shore. I literally crawl onto the beach because I have about 200lbs of water in my waders. I lay in the sand to drain some so I can at least stand up, then try to take my waders off. Well, when they have taht much water in them, when you try to pull your foot out you create a vacuum, and since water is denser than I can't generate enough vacuum to pull air into the water to fill the void i'm tryng to create by pullng out my foot, so I have to tweak my legs in all kinds of directions to get the damn thngs off.

So there I stood, in my longjohns, no shirt, 40degree air temp soaking wet in front of all these onlookers looking like a complete ass. An ass with a grin from ear to ear because I was +2 fish!

Great story thank you .it just Shows us that sometimes you have to think out of the box try harder .Due different things to be successful. on another note wearing a belt or two can always be in your best interest for safety and for attempting to stay dry, again thank you for a very interesting story.I am sure all will enjoy it..I have gone as far as to wear two belts tape my sleeves in an attempt to go out deeper and stay kind of dry. which never happens Ha Ha!!

About 10 years ago, on a Fall day during the week  I headed down to IBSP. Stopped at a local tackle shop. Overheard someone say he just caught over 100 bass. Thought to myself what a BS story. Got on the beach around 6:30, it was a overcast day,  started casting a hopkins with a tube and a teaser. I caught over 20 doubles and had caught well over 100 fish, nothing big but alot of fun.  When I tell the story can't help  think people are also  thinking it's BS!!

I can say a day you will never forget and yes i do believe you. i have been there a few times in my life and never will forget. thank you again all will enjoy this read . Bob

well a great story comes to me so it's time to give you a laugh.my buddy and i were fishing montauk shagwong many,many years ago . the month was October the time was about 2300 hrs.. 11:00 p.m. Now usually on the average night we would see 8 to 15 fisherman this night a fishing club showed up. i did not know these guys and they did not know me, or my buddy. we noticed that this group when we exited our truck closed all gaps between there group of 40 fishermen. i even said hello to them they never answered me. i felt that this was done so we could not fish between them. we also noticed this entire group of fishermen were using 6 inch bombers which was odd . yes they were catching small bass 10 pound class. but in my past years of fishing this spot at night i would not use a 6 inch bomber . not that i never use a 6 inch bomber i do but not there . now while this group was fishing i attempted to fish near the rocks which they were guarding as a group they would not let me in or near the rocks . at this time rather than cause a problem or altercation . i decided to move down the beach a good distance away from them.. now it was 3 days after the new moon it was good and dark. i informed my buddy that i have to get a cow and so did he.We have to kick ass.If you know what i mean. I put on my trusty 3 ounce B.M. yellow Darter i kind of asked the fish Gods for a favor let me catch a COW, well six casts and i had a large cow. i made my buddy put my B.M yellow darter on . he did not have one with him. he casted for about 10 minutes and he caught a large cow .Now this story is not over.I now with our lights still off . This group never observed us catch the fish,I requested that my buddy put a 3 ounce bucktail through the fishes upper lip real good so she don't get off i did this at the same time. we then walked them through the water back next to this group and let these cows swim out about 30 foot out. at this time i asked my buddy to start yelling and reeling in he got a big fish i did the same thing reeling in yelling and laughing,, we then proceeded to bring in both fish at the same time of course these beauty's were very alive flapping in the surf then on land . At this time we turned our light on observing these large beauty's mine was in the low 30's his the mid 20's both-large great beautiful fish that the fish Gods gave us ., when these guys observed these cows they all seemed pissed. they saw we had them on large bucktails they all started to switch to big bucktails. we put the cows in my truck and moved off to another area of this great beach. these guys were steamed. i left feeling that they got what they deserved for not being fair fishermen. i always try and be fair not being rude or attempt to stop another fishemen from fishing near or where i am fishing,They pissed me off so i had to do my best to Kick some ass .we laughed for an hour.

I took the train from the city out to Montauk to fish Hurricane Earl that Friday night when it hit. Plan was fish the big water all night come back on the train the next day. Realized on the train that I forgot my wallet. I had some cash on me but not a lot. After buying the ticket I had 15 dollars left. Now, there was no question I was going to fish I just had to adjust. Ok new plan take a taxi to the point and hitch back. When the train was around West Hampton, an anouncement came out stating due to the Hurricane LIRR will be shut down Saturday and the last train leaving Mtk would be at 5am. Ok so now what do I do. Alright fish from 10-3 and get a ride back from someone going into town. If I had my wallet I would have just stayed in a hotel out there, but now that I had no money for food or a place to stay I knew I had to make that 5 am train.

Got off train around 10 took a taxi to the point. Changed into my gear which was in my backpack and started to fish the Nside. Picked fish till about 2 in some of the biggest water I've ever seen. Stopped fishing rested for a bit then decided I mind as well start walking and try and get a ride into town. Right around the concession stand a old range rover with a couple of guys stopped next to me. I asked them if they had any room and I noticed they were packed to the max. I said no problem and that ill probably get a ride from the next guy. Well there was no next guy. The walk to town took 2 hours. The only car to pass during the walk was the Weather Channel Van and even with me half in the road flagging them down with my lite they did not stop (its been weather underground ever since).

Walked to town found a water spicket behind a shop and rested for 10 mins. Then finnished it off by walking to the train. Everytime I drive from town to the point I still cant belive I did that walk. Bought a 4runner the following year and put an end to that nonsense.