Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tlacey21walden

May 11th - 14th vineyard trip

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I going to be taking a trip to the vineyard may 11th - 14th, GF is contently wanting to go places and do stuff (outer than fishing) but this was her idea and when she asked me she said do you think there will be any fish there at that time of year,I am hoping so as the trip is pretty much booked now...... We are going to be staying at the Hanover House and I am wondering if we should bring the truck out or leave it on main land, assuming there are fish around will I be able to walk to some good spots from the Hanover House? Also any help in what to bring along in the plug bag and anything else you think a new b to the area might need to know, I see there are a couple of Tackle shops that should be able to point me in the right detection once I am there

Thanks for any info

Tobias

Dick's, Larry's and Coop's tackle shops are all good. MV is one of the most scenic places in this area so I would bring the Truck. Places like Menemsha, Aquinnah, Cape Pogue and Wasque are spots any fisherman need's to at least see. A good fly fishing guide is John Kollette.

might be a little early that time of year for the vineyard, good luck,

I hope not but I was thinking it was a bit early as will

With warm winters as we have had this past, you will have bass as well as blues

I hope so spring needs to get here asap:D

Thanks for the help guys

I going to be taking a trip to the vineyard may 11th - 14th, GF is contently wanting to go places and do stuff (outer than fishing) but this was her idea and when she asked me she said do you think there will be any fish there at that time of year,I am hoping so as the trip is pretty much booked now...... We are going to be staying at the Hanover House and I am wondering if we should bring the truck out or leave it on main land, assuming there are fish around will I be able to walk to some good spots from the Hanover House? Also any help in what to bring along in the plug bag and anything else you think a new b to the area might need to know, I see there are a couple of Tackle shops that should be able to point me in the right detection once I am there

Thanks for any info

Tobias

Drop me a line when you get here. You will be staying next door to me. :) If this year is anything like last, you should see some fish.

Scott

Take the car - Dude, you are going to be in it big time. I might've said you were about 10 days earlier for the big girls; but this year, I think we'll have some good fish sooner. Probably not many schoolies, as is becoming a sign of the fisheries; but if you want a shot at some nice, early season fish, do this, if your girl will let you free. Hell, get her involved.

Get some squid jigs, standard, yozuri, etc.. go to the ferry docks in Edgartown when the water is up, poke around the under the lights and jig up some squid. If you can get say 6, you're all set, but don't fretif you only end up with say 3. You'll be cutting them up in two or three pieces for bait.

Next, head south across the island, actually a short trip during that time, and fish the south-facing beaches along south beach state park. check the points, cast out, hold on. Easy fishing, and those big fish love those squid snickers.

Take the car - Dude, you are going to be in it big time. I might've said you were about 10 days earlier for the big girls; but this year, I think we'll have some good fish sooner. Probably not many schoolies, as is becoming a sign of the fisheries; but if you want a shot at some nice, early season fish, do this, if your girl will let you free. Hell, get her involved.

Get some squid jigs, standard, yozuri, etc.. go to the ferry docks in Edgartown when the water is up, poke around the under the lights and jig up some squid. If you can get say 6, you're all set, but don't fretif you only end up with say 3. You'll be cutting them up in two or three pieces for bait.

Next, head south across the island, actually a short trip during that time, and fish the south-facing beaches along south beach state park. check the points, cast out, hold on. Easy fishing, and those big fish love those squid snickers.

^^^^^^ Now that is what I like to hear, I can hardly wait

what size sinkers do I need to hold there? 1-3 work on a sliding rig?

Well, the wind and current can play a big role; and there is the chance that you can get blown off the beach if it's blowing from the wrong way or making it difficult to hold bottom. But, I generally start with 3oz egg sinkers. It's nice and sandy over there, and squid are hardy on the hook; I actually good with it rolling a bit on the bottom. I'll go up to 4oz if the current or wind is heavier. If it's blowing hard, you can switch to a pyramid; but I don't usually do that. I may try a 6oz egg and see if i will stay on the bottom. If not, there are a lot of places around the island to try that would be protected; but more likely than not, you'll be fine at this spot with 3 or 4oz eggs, and the wind will be southwest