Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Information on East End Jetty

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

On the Sandwich Side.

Looking for any information that can be verified, as to if, and when the jetty on the East end , located in Sandwich might have been added on too Aprox year would be nice if any one can recall when it might have been added onto.

Mid to late 50s Carl, exact year ?...

No, it was later than that, because I remember the warning signs telling people that it would be completely covered at half tide. I couldn't read in the mid to late 50s :D

I do know that a ship went across the east end jetty, some time during the early 60's. I can recall all the lights as I was getting ready to Fish Murphys beach. I do now that some work was done after they got the ship off the jetty, but I also thought they may have brought up the height and extended it out some??

Buddy I also know that they did some work on the breakwater Jetty on the mainline side, to cover the holes on that jetty. To stop the sand from going underneath into the canal . once the water turned west from Plymouth.

It would be helpful in determining if indeed the short jetty on the Sandwich side , was ever lengthened

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angler #1 View Post

John not even close.

Did you get out today for raking?

I blew up my wrist last week and was unable to go today

yes I was out there, got my exercise for the week biggrin.gif

It would be helpful in determining if indeed the short jetty on the Sandwich side , was ever lengthened

Here is one possible way for you to determine if that south jetty was ever lengthened, Angler.

Walk the lenght of that jetty and look for any sort of change or differentiation in the boulders. I'm talking here about color, texture, shape, size, stone type, postioning, spacing, breaks, etc.

I'm sure you'll find a noticeable transition from the older to the newer added on section.

I recall it being shorter when I was a kid, but that could just be my memory playing tricks on me. I'm positive that it was lower then, and was built up since. I don't know when. It might have been when they completely re-worked the area between the CG boathouse (today's visitor center) and the dirt path to Murphy's and the jetty. There used to be a fish market with a fried seafood take-out window on the bulkhead there. I remember watching trawlers off-load there while eating fried clams. :D

A 600-foot-long jetty and a 3,000-foot-long breakwater, both located at the entrance to the canal from Cape Cod Bay. The jetty is located on the southerly side, and the breakwater is situated on the entrance's northerly side. These structures, originally built by Belmont, were included in the purchase of the Cape Cod Canal. Carl, this is from their site ...

Thanks Guys the lenght's given ,go back to when the canal was originally built and per Army Corp they have never changed them later? It has been difficult to establish any changes in newspaper accounts at our Historical archives here in Sandwich. But like some here have indicated , we recall a time when some work was done on both the breakwater and the jetty, that apparently did not get recorded any where.. I think i will find the time to actually measure it and the idea about the coloration of the stone is a good one Joe

A 600-foot-long jetty and a 3,000-foot-long breakwater, both located at the entrance to the canal from Cape Cod Bay. The jetty is located on the southerly side, and the breakwater is situated on the entrance's northerly side. These structures, originally built by Belmont, were included in the purchase of the Cape Cod Canal. Carl, this is from their site ...

Using Google Maps Distance Calculator, I get 680 and 2500 ft. Depends on where you start, but it looks like the stone changes at the top of the beach. YMMV.

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

Using Google Maps Distance Calculator, I get 680 and 2500 ft. Depends on where you start, but it looks like the stone changes at the top of the beach. YMMV.

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

I get very close to the same. Nice tool. Great for calculating fishing trips. You can figure out how far the hike is