CanalPlugger23

TFO Pandion vs Beulah Surf Series

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

Any advice on the pros and cons of each rod.  looking for long distance casting only.  preferably a 9/10wt for stripers on the rocks and beaches on the cape.  I am leaning toward the Pandion.  Any advice would be great!!!

My money is on you will buy the Pandion irrespective on what others come up with based on posts of this type. Sounds to me like you have made your mind up already and just want confirmation from others that you are doing the right thing.

Whats long distance mean to you? 100 feet 120 feet? If you want more you will have to think maybe different rods.

Have you actually cast both rods if not its a leap of faith either way.

Mike

I have'nt cast either rod but did give them both a wiggle at the Bears Den show, the Beulah felt like a weak noodle rod compared to the Temple fork pandion, I look forward to the chance of actually casting these rods. If I was to buy on just my first impressions based on just the wiggle I'd go with the pandion,I've been fishing with 2 hand rods exclusively for about ten years now and the pandion feels more like a rocket rod than the Beulah, plus the price is reasonable.

Distance to me is about 110 feet, as i can only get about 80ft on my single hander with a shooting head.  I probably will try out both rods at the Bear's Den in the upcoming weeks.  I was at the Bear's Den fly show and I handled both rods.  like both of you, i thought the TFO felt better and had a faster action.  I put 3 raffle tickets in for the Beulah 7/8wt surf rod and i checked yesterday and I didn't win.  I was very disappointed. Oh well, I guess that's life for yasmile.gif!!!

I have casted a few TFO rods and can not say that they were fast - not even faster than other rods out there.

But I have not handled these specific rods.

Reading the TFO PR re the Pandion leaves me confused. It says that the rod can be used for both Skagit and OH casting. These two styles are so wide apart I don;t know how they can make that statement. You want an OH rod, especially if you seek distance, to have a firm butt. You want all of the power to be in the lower 2/3rds of the rod.

A rod suitable for Skagit style is just the opposite - firm upper 2/3rds and a very flexible butt to handle Skagit lines and the anchor point castsn that go along with Skagit casts..

If you want a rod that is most suitable for OH casting you want a lively rod meant for beach use - not Scandi, switch or Skagit use. I say "lively" because most, if not all, factory beach rods are nothing more than boat rods rigged as fly rods.

Although out of all three (Skagit, switch, Scandi) the switch rod is more suitable for OH casts. But to get the length you want you will have to go custom because factory rods seem to top-out at 11' except the TCX.

I have a 12' and a 13'6" (CTS blanks) - both switch rods - and they can both throw some line. But not like a 12' or 13' beach rod.

As a matter of fact I had out two rods the other day - the 12' switch #10 and a 11' Beach #9 and they casted exactly the same am't of line (106') with the same line (660gr).

For OH casting think beach, switch, Scandi, Skagit - in that order.

Herb

Canalplugger.

Ok if your best cast with a SH is just 80 feet that suggests your SH casting needs some work on. With some pro lessons you will soon be able to improve on that and be able to use less effort when you need to only cast short.

A TH will probably allow you to go to 100 to 110 feet in reasonable conditions with some instruction. But they are not the silver bullet solution to distance. A TH rod to beat the wind needs to be able to cast a reasonably big line payload. No hauling to add line speed with a TH. Most TH can do very well in fine calm conditions it is when the wind is blowing that they need to have certain attributes. Spey type actions just don't cut it. I have never even seen let alone cast the two rods you are interested in. The market place is pretty empty at the moment for Th rods that can really cut it in bad conditions. You have to do a bit of searching around. You may want to consider the T+T 12x12 which is still obtainable but I believe that this is a 12 wt as applicable to a SH rod. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong. Thing is the TH scene is no different in many ways than the SH in that it is rare to find your ideal rod in the first one you buy.

But unless you buy a total noodle stick you can get fishing with almost anything unless its really blowing hard. Your first rod will teach you a lot.

Mike

Mike,

Not a strange way - they are meant for the beach.

I owned the old GLoomis 11'3" #10 Beach Rod. It was recommended to be paired with the RIO OB #10. But that line did not load it well. It needed the #11 at least - maybe even the #12. They also had a #12 rod.

Steve Rajeff used to demonstrate the rod. Of course he was able to cast a mile with it. Now it is sold as a Cross Current Speciallized rod - in either a #10 or a #12.

At the time I tested the GLoomis Stinger and the Beach Rod side by side - settled on the beach but sold it soon after. It really can't compare with what you and I are working on now. Like I said - a boat rod.

Regards,

Herb

Wildrover,

This was about 7-8 years ago so my recollection is fuzzy. I remember that I did like the rod but thought it was too long for me. The new one is 12'6" - the old one was about that length. Could have been the 12'9" - because I tested the shortest of the series.

I believe with what I know now I would have bought the Stinger before the beach rod, - that is if I had only those two rods to choose from. And Loomis made decent rods back then.

Herb

Herb,

There we go. A TH Beach rod but can only cast a Rio OB 10. I rest my case.

Mike

He said the OB #10 was recommended, but that it needed at least the #11, and maybe even the #12...

Haven't cast the Pandion, but have fished the Beulah a lot, and think they are great. I much prefer the Beulah to the TFO 12X12, which is a nice rod, but a little clunky for me. Also prefer the Beulah to the Atlantis. I haven't found the Beulahs to be noodly at all, and have used them both up here and in the tropics. My friends have landed plenty of roosters from the beach with them, and a rooster is stronger than anything we'd find up here. Beulah also has developed its own line for those rods -- soon to be available under the name Serum -- but the Outbounds cast great on them too. My Beulah 7/8 casts an Outbound Short 10 (425 grains) easily, and the 9/10 is a very powerful rod and casts the OB 12 nicely. They're not for spey casting really, because of how stiff they are, but for overhead casting, I think they are great.

(*edited - Jonny, we don't allow soliciting, buying or selling outside the BST Forums here - thanks - TimS)