Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billyb

Snakehead fishing in South Florida

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

It looks like my charter will be cancelled on tuesday and I will have to try freshwater if I want to fish as the reports are for 6-8ft waves inshore. I want to try for Snakeheads in the canals after seeing some videos on youtube. If anyone knows any specific canals to fish for them it would be much appreciated. I am looking at the canals in around southgate blvd and west sample road area but have never fished or been there.

I've had some luck fishing ponds and canals near the Coral Springs Aquatic Complex.  My buddy got a beast in one of the ponds on a rapala. Even the little crappy looking canals, like the smaller ones along Wiles Rd, have big snakeheads. Just park at one of the stores(Pizza Supreme) and walk back there.

post-16-1178677430.jpg

no they gave up on that a whle ago...at one point they were telling people to kill them if they caught them... but they have also given up on that..

Its still up to the person to do with it what they want... some kill them and some throw them back...

IMO if i had them in a lake/pond then i would kill them, but in a canal... hell everything swim our canals :D

Yes people eat them and thats one of the reason they were turn loose... hell people will eat anything.... don't get me wrong i have tasted some fish that i would never have taught

they would be good for anything, but they werent that bad...

Bluefish/jacks/sharks/hardhead catfish/ stingrays/ ribbon fish/ puffers... and the list goes on and on... throw enough hot sause on something and drink a few beers and anything will taste good :D

Drako, you for got GAR soaked in Milk over night, caught a 4 ft one and played wih it for while turned it loose and couple old local's down in old Homosassa were some kind of hostile about that, Fried Fresh Mullet and some grits, now that is Great Dinner after church, smoked mullet good for snack while out on flats fishing. Dont Touch that Basa GD VN catfish Nasty

I think is might be illegal to release any invasive/alien species of animals into the wilds in Fla. You are even supposed to kill any tilapia!!! Never heard of anyone doing hard time for that, but you never know!!

Go the FWC and the only thing is said is that its Illegal to release them (pet) but once they have an established populations there's really nothing that can't be done...

They have a reporting page but only for that gaint rat in keys and the burmese python... but once they have established themselve they really can't do nothing

about them...

You have a right to kill them if you want but alot of people are targeting them as gamefish (snakeheads) they have also done studies where the Largemouth bass were eating more of them

Vs the snakeheads eating the LM...

FWC gave up on Tilapia a long time ago they have a permanet Population for 50yrs already and people catch and eat the hell out of them..... heck they are even targeting Clown knifefish down there..

I can't wait to go down there and hit all the canals... no telling what i will catch :D

But im a Snook kind of guy so i'm alway chasing them when i head south... damn it :)