Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Silver Stoat

Playing with herring

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

First foray into longer flies for the spring migration. Keen to find out how they cast and look in the water. Hopefully they'll draw a strike or two.

The first was a bit on the chubby side

[img=

The second was longer with less material. I'm quite happy with how they look for a first stab.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7197/6804746434_5138f09045_z.jpg]

Nice flies,I love large streamer type patterns,perfect head shape without the birds beak look on the first fly.I'm curious how you'll feel about the combination of natrual and synthetic materials once you see it swim,I've tied combinations like this and was a little dissapointed,the natrual material wiggles and undilates nicely where the synthetic kind of just clumps and has no life movements.They do look good though.

Thank you. Yes, I'm curious too. I expect you're right about the synthetic materials. I like playing around with the mix. I'm guessing if I use fewer materials they will perform differently. We'll see - soon!

Beauties for sure! :th:

Love the colors & profile! I also like big streamers, with that long, slender profile, seems that anything will eat them & most of the time!

I'll be looking forward to your report on how you do with them as well! :D

Profile and length look good to me. It'll be nice to watch how these larger flies improve as you master tying larger flies. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

Sweet herring flies, I love using  long saddle hackle, but i think PEC54 is right about the synthetic material not having the same movement in the water, especially if  you fish them using wet fly swings or greased line, still awsome looking flies!

Thanks fellas. Most kind. I don't fish any way exclusively, mostly because I get bored. I guess these flies will do different service each outing. My friend took this video of herring a few years ago. http://vimeo.com/1038761 I'm not sure if they're doing the wet fly or greased line swing or some acid crazed frenzy ;-)

What I like most about these flies is that they each took about 10 minutes - even for a career novice like me. Given the length and profile of the hackles, I suspect they'll behave in much the same way as the fabled flatwing style, which I find much more of a futz to tie.

Jonny