Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Orvis Hydros; Vortex apparently departed

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I note in the latest Orvis catalog that the Vortex series (Vortexi?) are gone, and the current top-end reels are the Hydros. (The top-end rods have the same name). I didn't own the one and don't own the other, but will ask of those who might know, what's the difference (if any) and why the change (if for anything other than a new name for marketing reasons.)

wait, what year is this? Vortex reel was from the early 2000's

i think if what you may be asking is why no more hydros rod and what is the difference between the hydros and the helios?

The helios is the top of the line orvis rod and orvis discontinued the hydos to simplify its line up of mid-priced rods

helios, superfine touch, access, clearwater are the main rods with the frequent flier travel rod included from 3-9wt

if you're asking about reels the mirage is the top end, followed by hydros large arbor, cfo, access mid arbor, battenkill barstock, clearwater, and encounter

Vortex has been gone for some time now. I believe the current top of the line reel is the Mirage. As chicky said, helios is the top rod for Orvis.