Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M. saxatilis

Streamer with cashmere

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have found a comfortable groove tying small (4-6") bait fish streamer patterns. Playing with materials new to me, I am really looking forward to throwing these to Tarpon of the North (aka - Inconnu or Sheefish). The cashmere is really supple and I can imagine how it will open up and breathe in the water. Having never fished flies incorporating cashmere, my apprehension is with the hair, because of length, knotting up with use. However, such is the nature of refining our methods. Feedback welcomed.

Hook: Tiemco 811S #2-2/0

Thread: 8/0 Uni thread (white rear/ chartreuse front)

Tail : 2 strands Polarflash (Rainbow pearl) over Temple Dog (white)

Body: Wire over Strung Chinese hackle (white) over Lite-Brite dub (polar pearl)

Underwing: 2 strands Polarflash (Rainbow pearl) over Cashmere goat (white)

Throat: Strung Chinese hackle (chartreuse)

Overwing: 2 strands Polarflash (RP) over Cashmere goat (chartreuse)

Eyes: Jungle Cock

I hope this inspires.

[img=

p><p>  <a href=[img=

2. Generous dub.

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3210165/width/600/height/448]

3. Chinese hackle tied in tip first, palmered rearward. Wire wrapped forward securing hackle.

[img=

4. Length of cashmere in at 1/3 the hank ( taper rearward end of cashmere hank).

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3210167/width/600/height/448]

5. Fold cashmere rearward, wrap ahead of fold (similar to hollow ties EXCEPT you do not tie up onto the material). Two strands flash.

[img=

6a. Change to chartreuse thread, tie in Chinese hackle stem first, convex side towards hook eye, fold, stroke fibers rearward.

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3210171/width/600/height/448]

6b. Wrap forward 3-4 tightly spaced turns, secure.

[img=

7. Length of cashmere tied in (normally as BT). Brush rearward w/ toothbrush to blend all materials.

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3210176/width/600/height/448]

8. Add JC eyes. Tie-off.

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3210177/width/600/height/448' alt='448'>

Thank you Bernie for setting me upon this path.

Really nice job, Kevin.

Always a pleasure viewing your ties.

The body wrap underneath used as a filler makes a nice big profile.

Is that Temple Dog in the first pic, top left hand corner?

Looks a lot like racoon with the brown ends?

I picked up some cashmere last year ,tied all my sandeel patterns with it,sweet stuff,will replace craft fur from now on,does'nt tangle up as much as craft fur after taken by fish.

Thats a sexy looking fly lol, that cashmere goat looks like its a perfect material in that it looks like it will breathe very well under water! If you dont mind me asking where'd you get that cashmere?

The cashmere is Spirit River brand- Bought in a local store, not ordered, and selected based upon hair length and a moderate density of under fur/fleece. Temple Dog was also included in the materials for this fly, Capt nailed it. I've read that Finn Raccoon is close in nature to TD. FOr all I know it might be one and the same, hard to know exactly.

PEC - Thank you for that tidbit on tangling, I am going to tie up some sand eels using the cashmere.

Added perspectives:

Anterior view -laterally compressed body shape. For scale, compare fly width to standard wine cork.

[img=

Dorsal view. (For scale, compare change received from the purchase of a bottle of red wine from which the cork once stopped.)

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3214069/width/600/height/448]

I've read that Finn Raccoon is close in nature to TD. FOr all I know it might be one and the same, hard to know exactly.

Temple dog is shih tzu, or at least it used to be. I use alot of finn raccoon, I'm not sure I want to know what it really is.

Temple dog is shih tzu, or at least it used to be. I use alot of finn raccoon, I'm not sure I want to know what it really is.

Finn Raccoon (also called Russian Raccoon or Chinese Raccoon) is a raccoon from the arctic areas of the planet. A tanned skin usually sells for $175USD.

Authentic Temple Dog hair is shunned by ethical tyers due to the inhumane method in which the hair is harvested from live animals. A video from China demonstrating the harvesting method circulated several years ago.

Finn Raccoon (also called Russian Raccoon or Chinese Raccoon) is a raccoon from the arctic areas of the planet. A tanned skin usually sells for $175USD.

Thanks, I'd been wondering for a while.

Nice tye. I've been looking at some of that angora at a local shop and had the same concerns but apparently for naught.

I have forgone the wire wrap for re-enforcement in favor of a technique that I found to be superior.Fold your hackle and before you wrap it, lay a fine bead of cement(I use aquaseal) along the outside of the quill and then wrap it.Even if it gets nicked it'll still stay in place and not unwind...kinda importan if there's blues or like we have  inland,pike/muskie,walleye,saugeye and saugers.Sharp, pointy teeth make quick work of an unreinforced hackle.