Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArcheryRob

Tail weight advice

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Again I am new at making through wired striper lures. I made a batch of copies of Atom Striper Swiper lure blanks today. They worked out and are pictured below. They float butt under water and mouth just above water and weighted with a 1" long 5/16" tail weight. The problem is I need advice with is how do you all insert these? I drilled a wooded mold and cast the tail weights. Drilled 5/16" and drilled the plug with 5/16". I had to push them in with the wood working vice. I put the 6" plug in there and the weight partially in and then tightened the vice to push them in. I like the tight fit, but .. I am going to have a problem with longer lures and I like the guy that made the winter Pencil Project with the tail weights slide all the way down in the middle. I am not going to be able to push these that far.

Are you drilling with different bits for the hole or mold? Pushing them in some other way?

[img=

This one is the bottom where it drill bit makes it rounded, it's not that far off center.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r175/archeryrob/Lures/StriperSwiper2.jpg]

try going up one size in drill bits for the tail weight hole. Use a piece of scrap wood and drill couple different size holes to find out a better fit. Use epoxy to secure the tail weight in place if you think its to loose.

Scott

For a 5/16 diameter lead slug, try an 8 mm drill bit for the plug. The 8 mm is just a hair bigger than 5/16. You'll get a tight fit, but easy enough to push the lead in with your hands and not risk splitting the tail of the plug.

Jigman

Ok, a few more questions while I got you all.

1/4" weight - 17/64" drill?

How about belly weights, don't press them in? I was reading Jack Frech's article and he recommended pressing in belly weights. I can see how tail weights would split wood easier. It's thinner there and your widening with the grain. If drilling larger for belly weights, what drill bits are you using?

3/8" weight - 25/64" or 10mm

1/2" weight - ?

Also, if I make 1/4" weight to center weight a needle like the one guy did for the Winter needle project, do you know a store that sell longer drill bits for the over sized hole. 1/4" are the only long bits I see.

all above correct. I make the tail wgt mold 1/64 under and then drill the tail wgt hole to size. No press for weights as you will split wood like mentioned above, you have been lucky so far.. You will also get decreased dia. of wood from build up of sealer after sealing so you have to allow for that also. For me belly wgts. are drilled oversize too and epoxied in to place. again mold is made undersize and hole drilled to size. I don't like pounding anything into the plug as bad things will usually happen. Get a decimal equivalent chart and figure out the undersize size for your molds. Most any decent tool supplier on line will have any size and length drill you need.

MSC direct is a good supplier. http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm?cm_re=tpnv-_-home-_-home

http://www.wwch.org/TechData/DecEquivChartHiRes.jpg