Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Reconditioning a Cabo 40 spinning reel

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Has anyone here sent their Cabo 40 back to Quantum (or any reel repair place for that matter) to have it reconditioned? I don't really want to simply ask if Quantum reconditions these reels since for the right money, I'm sure they'd say 'yes'...but I'd like to hear some results if you have done this.

This reel is probably 4 years old and has served me well...However, after a trip down to FL (Juno area) last summer, something's up with the spool where it can now be 'jostled' up and down a bit...I'm not sure if it was like this before hand - however, it became readily noticable during a fast run by a false albacore, when it looked like the spool was going to fly off (I had already caught 20lb jacks and a few other fish during the previous day or so)...I ended up catch that fish and afterwards, noticed the 'play' in the spool. After checking out a couple of new ones at some shops back here in MA, I noticed these new reels did not have any up and down play whatsoever...I don't know if this is caused by damaged washers inside the spool or if it's the main pin(whatever that's called???) gear that the spool sits on

If it's an easy fix, along with a full 'tune up', I'd go for that...I'd almost replace it except I already spent my annual allowance (probably several years at least...LOL) last August on a VS150, I'd rather go for the cheap fix on the Cabo if possible

I sent my carbo 40 back to the factory because I didn't have the wrench or directions and couldn't crack it open.Pretty embarrassing.

They told me how much in advance to ship and service it and when it came back it was a brand new reel,know extra charge.(must have been my good looks) New reel had wrench and part sheet.

I can't ask for more than that.

IT WAS AN AMERICAN COMPANY

I've had warranty work done by them on a reel, my fault all the way, basically did a light crushing on the reel in the back of the truck :o

They basically gave me a new reel for like $35 bucks, can't beat that.

I'll go ahead and send it in then - with the toys I bought in the past 6-8 months, I don't want to dole out a lot on equipment this year (beside the VS mentioned above, I also picked up a St Croix Tidemaster Travel Rod for a trip I took last year)...especially since I want to fund another trip down south this year:-)