Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Acedoc

penn slammer help

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

after i changed out the 40 lb braid on my slammer i have noticed that it is laying on the big game 15 lb mono a bit odd. the spool is more full at the base than neat the lip if you get the idea. i had recently broken it down for a re lube and as far as i can tell had been able to put humpty dumpty back again.

any inputs will be appreciated.

You need to remove a washer (or replace with a thinner washer) the washer that is under the spool. The picture shows how to get these shapes. You need to do the opposite of the middle one to level things out.

(preview looked fine, but the picture shrunk when posted. double click it to enlarge)

You should not have to add washers with a slammer, it doesn't come with one in that location. The first thing you may want to do is check both th crosswind gear and especially the crosswind block for wear. These are the parts that move the spool up and down. The block is made of a soft metal and usually wears out first. As a practice I replace the crosswind blocks at the first sign of wear. With years of use the only thing I've ever had fail during use on a slammer was the crosswind block.

dont know bout the wear part as i have not caught a large number of lunkers or beat up my reel on hard running fish. still your advise makes sense and i will order a new crosswind block.

ps. is it possible i have failed to align the nut under the spool correctly as i had to take it off for the greasing part.

Slammers don't wrap braid perfectly to begin with but it shouldn't be really bad. If it is bad one thing to think about is where was the knot in the spool for joining the braid to the mono. If that knot was big it will cause the braid to wrap bigger in that area. That's just another reason to use tape on the spool and put the braid directly on without any mono backing. Since your braid is already cut to length for using the mono backing maybe you could unspool to another reel and move the mono to braid knot towards the top of the spool. Rewrap the braid on and see if it evens out. Just a thought.

John

The botton of the rotor should be be flush with the reel housing/body. This would indicate that the clutch bearing is set right. The only other thing is making sure the spool is seated on the locating pin and the plastic locating pin clip is in good shape.

Did you only us half of your rod to spool ?

Slammers don't wrap braid perfectly to begin with but it shouldn't be really bad. If it is bad one thing to think about is where was the knot in the spool for joining the braid to the mono. If that knot was big it will cause the braid to wrap bigger in that area. That's just another reason to use tape on the spool and put the braid directly on without any mono backing. Since your braid is already cut to length for using the mono backing maybe you could unspool to another reel and move the mono to braid knot towards the top of the spool. Rewrap the braid on and see if it evens out. Just a thought.

John

yes to the first question . how did you guess ?

but i have always used that way to spool.

my slammer never had a prob with braid and i have removed all the line down to the backing before i put on new mono on the reel. there is just an arbor knot on the reel rest is a clean length of freshh mono off the bulk spool i tried unwinding and have rewound twice but no joy. don't know how much of an impact it will make on the casts though or why it should occur with mono or so suddenly .:(

yes to the first question . how did you guess ?

but i have always used that way to spool.

my slammer never had a prob with braid and i have removed all the line down to the backing before i put on new mono on the reel. there is just an arbor knot on the reel rest is a clean length of freshh mono off the bulk spool i tried unwinding and have rewound twice but no joy. don't know how much of an impact it will make on the casts though or why it should occur with mono or so suddenly .:(

because I've done it myself :o but not just on my slammers - I belive tension changes when its only half a rod - spools evenly when both pieces together.

when that's happened I've gone out - put on a havier tin - cast it out a dozen times and its fixed itself - otherwise you can undo and re-spool

The botton of the rotor should be be flush with the reel housing/body. This would indicate that the clutch bearing is set right. The only other thing is making sure the spool is seated on the locating pin and the plastic locating pin clip is in good shape.

checked . all shipshape.