Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
treblemaker

cutting from tip of rod?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

i got a question. i never cut from the tip of the rod. so i am questioning it. i have a customer who likes my work i have made rods for him before in the past. he brings me a rainshadow sws70ml 7foot rod. it is intended for fluke. but he doesnt like that it has to much bend at the tip. i was thinking maybe 3inches off the tip at most. but i never did this before. is that to much to little. what are some good starting points to look at

Okay, what you want to do is...

Take a piece of tape.. with a 3 foot section of mono, tie the appropriate oz sinker that he is going to be using. Then tape it 1 inch back from the tip, ask him if he likes it from there, then 2 inches back from the tip, then 3 inches. Always cut one inch less then what he asked you too, because once its cut, its cut...

just wrap the mono around the rod, then put a piece of tape or two around it so its secure!!

cheers!

Only time I've cut a tip off, I did it this way; Tied a piece of mono to a weight that was equal the average sized lure/weight I would normally use. Then I taped the line on the blank hanging the weight off of it. Watched and felt the blank flex, I worked it back at 1" increments until I found the exact feel and flex I was looking for. Not very scientific, but it worked for me.

frankiew,

I just took down from the wall a rod I built on that blank [conventional] to get a feel for it before replying. That rod feels so 'right' as is,and cutting that sensitive blank would kill the feel. But your friend wants it shortening,it's his to do whatever, so here goes.In my experience shortening the tip of a rod has always resulted in way more stiffness than I anticipated in removing a section. You cannot add back on, so a little at a time, till you get to where you wish to be.Remember though, removing a length will not give you the same curve under load, as the original curve minus that piece.By removing that piece you are now loosing the leverage of that length, in addition to a larger diameter, stronger tip.You could get comparison before any cutting if you clamp the rod horizontally,put line through and add a fixed weight to give you almost a 90degree curve.I take measurements down to the floor at intervals along the rod marked with pieces of tape,I then transfer this data to graph paper.If you then taped a rod guide your suggested 3inches from the tip and re thread omitting the tip, load with the same weight and take your measurements again, your fresh measurements connected in a line on the same graph will show the difference in the curve.You can move your taped on tip around giving you accurate comparison, to give you what you think will be suitable for the application.

Here's a stupid question: has the guy considered getting a blank that will do what he wants to do? You can buy that Rainshadow blank for $50, so it's not like you're dealing with the Hope diamond here.

I can understand cutting blanks if nobody manufacturers the kind of blank you want. I can also understand cutting for experimental purposes. But cutting just because you have a blank on hand seems kinda dumb to me. If you don't like the traits of the blank you have, sell it and buy something that is exactly what you want. Easy, right?

belmo i said the exact same thing. i would always suggest just buying a blank that will give you what you want instead trying to make it. but this rod building and what comes with it. its one more thing i learn to do to make myself better at what i do. the real problem i have is, i cant meet the guy, his nephew who i made rods in the past for and is a great kid, gave me a blank and all the components he wants on his rod. i would rather do it with him next to me, but i dont think it is gonna happen. so i am doing it based on my judgement.

I build on that blank a lot. You need to do as suggested and hang some different sinker weights from the tip before cutting. The SWS70L loads up very quickly so cutting too much from the tip will result in a club of a rod. Ask your customer the following: Is he bait fishing or bucktailing? How much weight does he typically use? Is he fishing mono or braid? How deep is the water where he primarily fishes?

I bucktail Montauk and the Northfork for fluke with weights up to 4 ounces. I do trim the tip a little going up one trip top size, which is about 1 inch.

he goes up to 4 ounces fishes bait upto 40 50 feet of water i never cut from the tip yet so not sure. but i have to guess it myself since i cant meet him. it would be alot easier if i worked with him he not sure if he uses braid or mono i was looking at the blank yesterday it does load up quick i doint think iwould go more than a 1inch