Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
longcaster

utility Co Smart Switches

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

My Utility Company wants to install a Smart Switch on the outdoor unit of the air-conditioning system.

They say i will cycle the compressor during high use times.

I want to know how these things are wired. I want to see a wiring diagram of the thing.

I want to disable it while still receiving the credit for it's install.

My Utility Company wants to install a Smart Switch on the outdoor unit of the air-conditioning system.

They say i will cycle the compressor during high use times.

I want to know how these things are wired. I want to see a wiring diagram of the thing.

I want to disable it while still receiving the credit for it's install.

If you figure that you are smarter than the engineers that work for the Utility, :confused: then go right ahead.

[/u]

If you figure that you are smarter than the engineers that work for the Utility, :confused: then go right ahead.

Nope I'm not smarter, I still have the choice of saying no. And if it is as what you linked to, my answer is no way. Further if they insist and there is no way aroung installing the device, I will power my compressors with my standby generator. :D

From Moocks link :

If the Red LED in the window is lighted, then the relay is open and

the condenser will not run normally. If this is the case, open the

control panel of the condenser and find the wires attached to the

compressor contactor. Place a jumper wire between the two blue

wires. This action will bypass the relay to the DCU. This procedure

will allow you to service the unit as if the switch was not there. After

service on the unit is complete, remove the jumper. This will restore

the DCU to normal service.

Not that I would ever do such a thing....;)

they are very easy to bypass, one little wire nut. ;)

or just pull the red and black wires from the contactor, relay fails in the closed position and unit operates normally.

So the only reason for these things is to cut power to your AC exactly when you need it. Why would anyone ever allow this? When they talk about 'cycling,' they mean cut power so that only the fan will work, not the compressor that produces the cold air.

So-called 'smart meters' are smart for the power company and the government concerned by global warming, not for you. They're already talking about putting smart meters on all houses, so that they can unilaterally choke down your electric supply at the source. Is that what you want? Consumers don't need smart meters - you know when you're running the dryer. Any meter that sends signals back to the power company in real time is designed to be part of a system that chokes off supply.

And that's my smart meter rant. :D

These boxes are installed to help manage peak demand. All rate payers pay more when more power is used than what was estimated for a spacific day. They have nothing to do with global warming.

By passing the boxes intended use while still receiving the insentive is stealing, no matter how you try to justify it it's stealing.

I've had them on my equipment in the past and don't recall ever being home when it cycled, so it was a good deal for me.