Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Shun Knives

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Anyone own these? Worth the money? Looking into a new knife set for this year. Been meaning to do this for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger on any. Other suggestions are welcome. I have an old solingen steel Henckel that is a suckfest to sharpen since I dulled it and never kept up with it on the steel....

Oh yes.  I have a chef size and a utility.  Not the highest price line, but the next one down.

If you know how to sharpen knives, these things shine.  I just did mine, they are perfect.  They respond so well to a honing.  If you keep them honed the edge stays good for a long time.

Its definitely a pay once cry once thing, I'll have these knives forever.

Oh yes.  I have a chef size and a utility.  Not the highest price line, but the next one down.

If you know how to sharpen knives, these things shine.  I just did mine, they are perfect.  They respond so well to a honing.  If you keep them honed the edge stays good for a long time.

Its definitely a pay once cry once thing, I'll have these knives forever.

Nice. I like the way they look and I read nothing but good things about them. I can get a 3 piece set of the ones you mentioned on Amazon for 299.00. I have a knife block already, but it's full of garbage mainly. We cook enough to justify a nice knife set.

The higher priced one are cool, but I'm not sure I really dig the hammered look anyways.

(*Edited - please don't post commercial links here - thanks. TimS)

They have a damascus series and a Japanese series...

All of the ones I have are the chef's series.

They are a joy and a very good value.

I have a shun "classic" pairing knife and it is terrific. Gets and stays razor sharp and is comfortable to handle. One of my favorites. The chefs knife looks nice too. I think I would prefer the classic over the other styles.

I have a Shun chinese cleaver. When it was new, it could split an atom but over time, the blade dulled and chipped badly. i sent it to Korin and they did a damn fine job of sharpening it, but alas, it's dulled and chipped again. Mind you, only use it on soft meats (no bones), veggies, garlic onions etc, so I don't understand why this thing is deteriorating like this. Knowing what I know now, Henkel makes a fine Chinese cleaver and I would have bought that instead. That is my experience, and your results may vary.

A decade ago Globals were all the rage, every chef in NYC had one and it was an introduction to the Japanese style blades/steel. I used a Global 11" chef's knife for a few months professionally and for my hands, they were very uncomfortable in the pinch and way too light to use efficiently. Imo, a sharp, heavier knife that is center balanced is much more efficient if you employ proper classic technique. If all you do is slice forward (sushi guys) then maybe a thin razor is for you.

The newer "hybrid" style knives----Japanese steel/grind + German weight/balancing----is a good compromise. Thinner grind than your grandmother's Henckels, harder steel, but similar balance and heft in the bolster...lends itself well to all day chopping and dicing.

Boy..this was a huge mistake lol. So many knives!!

Wife and I made a homemade chicken soup today. Just having to chop and cut up the whole chicken was enough to drive me over the edge. We need new knives. Bad.

Been eyeing Fujiwara knives too, but MAC's really seem like a better knife overall. To a point, learning to sharpen properly will go a lot further than owning super fancy blades. I'm leary on dropping coin on a lower end knife and finding opinions on Japanese blades is hard. People are all over the place.

One thing I see now is that Shun's are a bit overated for what you can get for less. Still a nice knife no doubt.

I watched modern marvels the other night and they showed why japanese samurai knives were so sharp, strong and held their edge,

Then they followed that with a piece on Cutco knives which used the same idea and added a few steps. They blew away all other knives for not only cutting, but holding that edge much longer that the other top of the line knives.

I watched modern marvels the other night and they showed why japanese samurai knives were so sharp, strong and held their edge,

Then they followed that with a piece on Cutco knives which used the same idea and added a few steps. They blew away all other knives for not only cutting, but holding that edge much longer that the other top of the line knives.

My mother has my Grandmother's Cutco knives from 20 years ago. Still look great actually.

I settled on the Professional MAC knifes. Did a lot of reading. My brother, who is a Chef wanted me to go for the Shun Premier, which had a slightly better price on the Chef's 8", but I decided MAC was a better fit for me. I ordered the 8" Chef's for $129.00. I'll take pics and let you guys know what I think next week, one I get a chance to do some chopping.

If I like it enough, I need a paring knife and a Santoku for the wife. (she loves those....)

I have a Shun chinese cleaver. When it was new, it could split an atom but over time, the blade dulled and chipped badly. i sent it to Korin and they did a damn fine job of sharpening it, but alas, it's dulled and chipped again. Mind you, only use it on soft meats (no bones), veggies, garlic onions etc, so I don't understand why this thing is deteriorating like this. Knowing what I know now, Henkel makes a fine Chinese cleaver and I would have bought that instead. That is my experience, and your results may vary.

I was watching a You Tube video of a Chef who was speaking on the Western vs Japanese knives and he actually said the 40 dollar Dexter Russel Chinese Cleaver was a great cleaver, lol. You can find the exact one on Amazon.

My mother has my Grandmother's Cutco knives from 20 years ago. Still look great actually.

I settled on the Professional MAC knifes. Did a lot of reading. My brother, who is a Chef wanted me to go for the Shun Premier, which had a slightly better price on the Chef's 8", but I decided MAC was a better fit for me. I ordered the 8" Chef's for $129.00. I'll take pics and let you guys know what I think next week, one I get a chance to do some chopping.

If I like it enough, I need a paring knife and a Santoku for the wife. (she loves those....)

:th:

My knives are Japanese and go by the brand Montrose

I was never able to find any information about them, but I sharpen them myself on a flat knife stone with mineral oil I picked up at HD, and use a steel regularly.

They are freaking sharp.

I'll post the consumers report list in a second. I think you cant go wrong with any good knife, including the bargain one they sell at restaurant depot.

I was watching a You Tube video of a Chef who was speaking on the Western vs Japanese knives and he actually said the 40 dollar Dexter Russel Chinese Cleaver was a great cleaver, lol. You can find the exact one on Amazon.

I have a bunch of Forschner and Dexter Russell. They sharpen up easy and are great for most things...not as sexy as the MACs, but very good.

My current cleaver is a 6" forged ss Calphalon. I don't use it that much, but I love it...great balance and heft. Bought it on sale at Marshals.Liked it so much I went back and bought two more and gave them away as presents.