Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ja2808

Mono Battle

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I need user input on Momoi Diamond Hi-Catch vs. Sufix Superior in 30lb. I know they both have super tensile strength, higher that stated breaking strength. Momoi is higher in cost. Sufix is slightly smaller in dia. Which would you choose for fish 20lb-100lb?

I'm running Momoi 12lb on my carbo40 reel and have used the same line going on three seasons.

I Use a 30lb shocker with it.

It seems stiff but strong

I've been running 12# Momoi with a Penn 525 Mag. on an 8' to 10' conventional rods, off of So. Jersey beaches.

Casts great...! No abrasion issues, nice to work with.

Nothing bigger than 12 # at the most. "Brilliant Blue"? Ill be damned if I can see it once it's off the spool. :) Thin.

Like the Momoi better than Braid with this setup. Best mono I've used in 40 yrs. No experience with Suffix.

There's a bulk spool of Sufix TriTanium 30 in my basement, the stuff has got to test close to 50. I like it, albeit I'm not doing anything the past couple of years that mono'd do better than braid. Another one of Pline C-XXX 17; probable real test is 25. Big Game 12 .... I dunno, I may wind up sticking this stuff in BST.

I can think of maybe two or three things for which I might want mono - bait from the beach, bait or eels next to riprap or a jetty, and in light tests, casting at weakfish. If there ever are weakfish again. That's about it.

What are you guys doing with mono?

Another one of Pline C-XXX 17; probable real test is 25. Big Game 12 .... I dunno, I may wind up sticking this stuff in BST.

I am a big P-line fan, but this cracks me up. I generally fish 20lbs CX line in the saltwater because of its overall properties. My buddy likes the CXX in 17lbs test. because of its abrasion resistance, and because of he thinks that going lighter will improve its castability. I kept telling hm that his line is way larger in diameter than mine, but he never pays attention.

20lbs CX = .39mm diameter

17lbs CXX = .41mm diameter

20 lbs CXX = .45mm diamter

It's no wonder the CXX is more abrasion resistant, it has 33% more material (i.e cross-sectional area) than the CX. I bet if you used CX and CXX with the same diameter the abrasion resistance would not be that much different. The CX still has better knot strength even with the added diamer (and associated added strength).

A lot of the fluorocarbons are the same way. They are thicker than the same strength of mono, which is largely why they are more abrasion resistant.

I guess the point is "Don't believe everything the marketing guys tell you"

Given that the Momoi and Suffix are similar, I would pick which ever one felt better (i.e. had better knot tying ability and casting ability).

What am I doing with Mono. Brian? :confused:

Everything in my fishing! :th: (except I do use braid the rare time or two I do deep- water Winter Blackfishing...)

Caught 600+ Stripers last year-- all on Mono.! 25 lb. max-- but 95% on 20 lb. test or less...

A 39 lber in early June on my (16') boat, from 6' of water-- that one on 20 lb. Big Game...

Had a 32 lber at M. in late October from a craggy beach... when most had given up for "greener pastures..." -- there was no one for a mile from me, that early AM when she hit my Metal lip plug! (Released as are all mine, so pics rare for me,, sorry!)

... and: 17 Bass to 31 lbs. -- 5 over 20 lb. (and 3 big Blues too)-- in central NJ on Nov. 28th, from surf-- on artificials all...

All on Mono. (Diamond 20 lb. test from shore 100% in '11!) . Not one fish lost to a broken line! Not one wind- knot! Not one "mystery break-off! Not one lost plug all Fall!) :wave:

I am a big P-line fan, but this cracks me up. I generally fish 20lbs CX line in the saltwater because of its overall properties. My buddy likes the CXX in 17lbs test. because of its abrasion resistance, and because of he thinks that going lighter will improve its castability. I kept telling hm that his line is way larger in diameter than mine, but he never pays attention.

20lbs CX = .39mm diameter

17lbs CXX = .41mm diameter

20 lbs CXX = .45mm diamter

It's no wonder the CXX is more abrasion resistant, it has 33% more material (i.e cross-sectional area) than the CX. I bet if you used CX and CXX with the same diameter the abrasion resistance would not be that much different. The CX still has better knot strength even with the added diamer (and associated added strength).

A lot of the fluorocarbons are the same way. They are thicker than the same strength of mono, which is largely why they are more abrasion resistant.

I guess the point is "Don't believe everything the marketing guys tell you"

Given that the Momoi and Suffix are similar, I would pick which ever one felt better (i.e. had better knot tying ability and casting ability).

I like you write-up. I love P-line as well. I won’t be really casting whichever one I choose. I’m mostly deciding which one has the best factory control, abrasion resistance, a decent stretch, and highest tensile strength per diameter for fighting pelagic fish from a pier.

It seems like many like Momoi over the Sufix so far… But let the battle continue!

You could have a look at the latest from Platypus Australia, its Lo Stretch 9% like GsP but better knot strength, IGA test

and 27$ AU for 500 metres.

Check the web site.

MaxG