Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaseyGhee

Fluke on an eel

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys, A little info sharing, please. I have read many posts re fluke fishing, but ran across someting that maybe some of the guys on this thread can chip-in with!! There is always a lively and informative discussion going on re fluke in the surf here on this thread, so I thought I would ask about something that I read . I have been following the CA threads here and elsewhere and was surprise to see that one of the respected So Cal guys has a black plug in his arsenal, not for night fishing (very few out West do), but for broad daylight for the Cali-Hali, which really is our fluke. Same fish only different last name to honor the State. After all this, the question I have for discussion is, have any of the guys used a black plug or eel representation specifically for fluke? I have chased fluke in the NE for many years, but never saw or heard of anyone targeting them w/eel like presentations. Some reports of by-catch, but never a direct usage. Thanks CaseyGhee

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies so far!! Not real eels, imations like all black plugs. Live and rigged eels are for stripers!!! Since NJ is far and away the best (IMO) for fluke fishing, and I'm headed for only fluke fishing shortly (SoCAl), ',m trying to get as much info on the fishery as possible. Just as they fish for Cali-Halis (same as our fluke) almost exclusively w/LCs or =s (various coloration including all black), I was wondering if any of the fluke surf guys use anything like, or representative of an eel. Thanks CaseyGhee

I don't know about the left coast, but a light bucktail and teaser tipped with a 4-inch gulp minnow in pink, pearl or chartreuse is all I use. I've caught them on bombers, metal and other swimbaits, but if you're targeting them, nothing beats gulp IMO (except maybe a live snapper)

I have caught fluke by dragging a small bomber type lure behind a sinker. Now I just use Gulp. Last year the Gulp even out fished snappers on my boat.