Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Magpie

Opinion on price I got for shingling my house

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have started shingling my house. When it came to the front, I thought about having a professional shingle the front. The area over the front porch could present problems. I have staging but really would not want to do it. I am fine with the sides. I already did the back. I weaved the corners and replaced all the rains guards above the windows.

Having done the back which is the same square footage, I know the materials cost. But the est of $9.8k seemed high.

The other pic (with snow) shows the front of the house which I would like done.

When I got the estimate, I did not know what to think.[ATTACHMENT=4716]Front that needs to be shingled (28k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Please feel free those professionals who do that type of work to comment. Those who had had such type of work done, please also comment about your opinion. Is the price too high or should I just suck it up fish less and bank out the front...then keep the $$$ in my pocket.

Thank you

Brian

You're getting ripped off, you have a basic roof pitch and an overhang over your front door.......  Do you have any handy friends?  If so 2k plus materials is more than a generous offer. The only potential cost driver would be if the decking needs to be replaced or if the lead around the chimney needs to be redone and booted. 

When you gave me that price, I was expecting a picture of a 12 gable house, which is certainly not the case.

Hard to say exactly from the pic.

But I'll ballpark for you, for a high end sidewall job with weaved corners, on that face and little porch I'd charge about 7k labor only.

Sounds high I know but that side is just slow going if you want a nice job.

If you did the sides and the back you might as well do the front. Take your time on the lay out on the front. Might be a little slow going but you will get there. Take extra time to set up your scaffolding and be safe.

If you did the sides and the back you might as well do the front. Take your time on the lay out on the front. Might be a little slow going but you will get there. Take extra time to set up your scaffolding and be safe.

BINGO:th:

cedar shake siding, for labor only I get 300 a square up in NH, for weaved corners add 25$ a square, I did a house about 5 years ago, weaved outside and weaved inside corners, got 350$ a square back then, but times have changed. Shake siding is very time consuming to begin with and most guys don't do a good job to begin with, :)

Thank you all. I will probably just do it myself. While it does take sometime to do it is not that hard. I was taught by an old timer how to do it when I was younger. My father and I must have done 2-3 houses over the years.

I agree gray gables, the weaving does take some talent and going slow. The skirt and belt are no mystery. I have all the tools.

I may miss out on some fishing this summer but I will go it myself. Here is the picture of the side and the back. I have to do just one area on the back up by the roof line.

I will put updated pictures up once I start back up again.

[ATTACHMENT=4723]side view from the backyard.jpg (167k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=4724]back just one corner to finish when weather clears.jpg (143k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Thanks

Looks like you did I real good job. Try doing it yourself. Bribe friends with pizza and beer. It sucks up fishing time, but at least you cant try and nap before fishing at night. You should see my house . Got a quote for $300/ square too. Bout jumped out of my skin.

Looks like beautiful work so far. As long as you are comfortable doing it why not finish on your own? You clearly have the skills to get it done :th: . Buy a new rod and reel when your are done to celebrate your savings and success :).

Good luck with your project.

Alan

Thank you boys. I will take advice and do it. Not all at once. That makes the job seem overwhelming.

I won;t have to fill my garage with stock either.

Once the weather breaks (Mid-March) I will start and send updates.

Thank you all

Brian

Quote:

Originally Posted by nip13 View Post

Do it yourself. Buy fishing gear with the money you save! Better yet take a nice fishing trip. Alaska perhaps.

icon14.gif  What he says

100010001000Hello,

Been working on it when I can...two boys under age of 3 take much of weekend along with shingling.

Will finished the side and do the front after Sept...front get sun almost all day..do not want to fry but would rather fish!!!!

Thanks