Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maxiger1

Fishing poppers

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Is it possible to use an intermediate line to fish poppers in shallow water? Water techniques would be best utilized to make the popper work effectively with that line?

Can a few poppers be recommended for Long Island's North Shore?

Ok lets start world war III. I will say an I line is just not very effective at fishing surface poppers no matter what the depth of the water. I have not dreamed this up I know through doing it. With an I line you will get a couple of pops and then the popper will eventually get pulled under. In short its crap.

Hard to believe that you have not tried already as that would be the best way to have found out. As to patterns almost anything big enough that will pop will do. Try a Bob's Banger or tye your own. If you make the face to big and cupped whilst you get a nice big pop, in a wave or current they can be a pig to unplug and cast.

You will get others who will 100% disagree with me on this. I care not this time. Fish a floater and be happy.;)

Mike

not looking for war but I don't own a floating line but will this year. I have used and caught bass in all depths including very shallow using inter line throwing bangers and crease flies. I am going to get floating this year and will use it for topwater as well as other stuff. make the flies look pretty, vary your retrieve, and you will catch.

I have had success with intermediate lines in shallow water using big Muddlers and deer hair squid patterns, most of the takes coming as they dive down to the level of the line after making a pop or two on the surface. This has worked  for me with bass on both sides of the Atlantic especially over weed beds and broken ground.

TK

Get the retrieve started as soon as the popper hits the water, and you can make an intermediate line work. IMHO it is not ideal, but I don't fish poppers all that much, so for the fairly rare situations I make do with my standard int line. If I were going to be working a LOT of poppers over a trip or area or season I would invest in a floating head.

Just my $ .02.

Good luck!

Alan

I care not this time. Fish a floater and be happy.;)

That was funny, Mike.

Believe it or not, I have used an intermediate line with poppers. It "worked" in that I caught fish. But it was a less than optimal setup.

And, as I also wish to avoid WWIII, I'll stop there. :-)

You can sort of get away with fishing poppers on an intermediate but you won't get many pops out of each retrieve because the line will pull the popper under after a few strips. Greasing the intermediate line up with fly floatant will buy you a few more pops but the floatant wears off pretty quickly. If you really like to fish the surface buy a floating line, it's worth it.

I don't find the fish to be too picky about what type of popper is being used. I love fishing Gartsides gurglers but if I want to cause a lot of commotion I'll use big foam poppers with bucktail .

All valid posts on this topic. Floating is going to do the best job for popping flies however, I only use a floating line during the worm hatch. Then its Int or fast sink. If you use a popper,( Love the Bob's Banger) yes you'll only get a few pops however stripers also feed on movement as you know. After three of four pops you may get the attention of a fish, then once that big bulky fly is under water the moment will entice bass as I feel the virbration from that big fly under surface is going to tease our striped friends to strike.

All in all if you love to fish poppers make the investment, if you fish the depths an intermediate will work. Shallow water two.

Also try stripping as fast and hard as you can as soon as the fly lands. The tension will keep an Int line up close to the surface.

One other thing, have fun...

Yeah, butttt! It is kinda like driving a 20 penny nail with a tack hammer. It can be done but fishing a popper with a floating line is so much easier. Another problem with a sinking or intermediate line is that, as the line sinks it moves the fiy toward you. I want my popper to obey my comand and stop when I want it to.

The following is from a fly fishing e-book I wrote recently:

The instant the fly touches the water and before the leader and line hit, drop the rod tip all the way to the surface and point it at the fly. There is a good reason for doing this. With the rod tip high, the heavy fly line sags and drags the fly back toward me and away from where it should be. (WORSE WITH AN INTERMEDIATE OR SINKING LINE) It must have taken me 20 years to understand what was causing my fly to swim toward me when I really didn’t want it to. By keeping the rod tip low I can maintain control while I pick up any slack with my line hand. I try to remove the slack with minimal fly movement. Now I have control of the fly with the line, leader and rod directly in line with the fly. My fly will be right where it hit the water. If there is an instant strike, I can hook up with a short jerk of my line hand.

That was funny, Mike.

Believe it or not, I have used an intermediate line with poppers. It "worked" in that I caught fish. But it was a less than optimal setup.

And, as I also wish to avoid WWIII, I'll stop there. :-)

Now between us we do have an "Irony" Love it.

Mike

Not at all clear to me why Mike thought this was controversial. I thought everyone understood that FL was better and IL might work shortly but not well.

Just to make an obvious point...and one not made yet. If fishing a "popper", with the intention of making it "POP" on the surface, and making fish come all to way up to a visual surface strike...the only way a popper is going to work for the whole length of a long cast/retreive....is if the popper is SO bouyant that it can literally hold up and float back up the Interm line.

Second point: With many other fish, like LMB, and occasionally with stripers, the best POPPING cadence is very slow and intermttent. In some cases, the slower the better. There is NO WAY (short of a hugely bouyant popper) that an average popper will work slowly with an IL. The best effect with an IL is instant fast ripping the popper back so the line never gets a chance to sink much.

Sometimes one has to fudge and use what they have, but having a fish hit a submerged popper is about as much fun as kissing your own sister. Ask me how I know.

PMP

Is it possible to use an intermediate line to fish poppers in shallow water?

I think I could make a popper float with a sink line in shallow water.

Give me nine feet of leader in five feet of water.

Now there is no fly line signature above the fish except the mono.

I thought that the popper went towards you the instant you started pulling it, and when you pull it pops. And the longer

and faster you pull, it keep on on popping.

Sometimes its Ok to get the popper to do a couple of pops and then you stop pulling and the line sinks a bit and you let

it sink and then give it a heave pulling it down and under the surface with a hell of a bloop, and you can keep on blooping it.

If you give it a few pops and bloops and nothing happens maybe its time to move on.

MaxG

With the popper on the surface and your line well below, you have a large belly with a sinking line that makes setting the hook difficult.

Granted, I catch maybe one Striper every 3 or 4 years because I fish at the extreme south end of their range. Stripers may be easier to hook

that the fish I normally target.

When I have more than just a little slack in my line, I miss lots of fish. When I had fly fishing clients aboard, I stressed line control a bunch.

Sticky sharp hooks help a lot with hook ups. Of course, I can't prove it but I'd bet that I would hook more fish with dull hooks and good line control than

I'd hook with sharp hooks and slack..

One more point and I'll shut up. Fish a Crease Fly on a fast sinker with a 2' leader and you will catch lots of fish. Of course, you won't see the strike

and I think that the biggest thrill in fly fishing is seeing a huge fish explode on a popper--hook-up or not.