Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John O'

Spaghetti aglio e olio con pepperoncino

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Big article in Boston Globe yesterday stating it is as authentic an Italian dish there is. Several Boston restaurants were mentioned and each had varying recipes, my simple version from last night was as follows:

One whole peeled and pressed head of garlic sauteed in olive oil until translucent, salt pepper, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes and one can of chicken broth (I know Rav is gonna let me have it on that one :D), and brought to a simmer. I cooked a box of linguini al dente, just a little firm, and added it to the pan with more parsley and Romano cheese stirring over high heat until thoroughly mixed together. I then put it into a large heated (from a hot oven) serving bowl and topped it with more Romano and parsley. It was great, the wife and kids loved it.

Next time I am going to use fresh pasta, probably large fettucine, and use salted water from the pasta pot instead of the chicken broth.

Anyone care to share a recipe, or ridicule mine? :o

Perfect except next time do use the pasta water and add stuff like mushrooms or broccoli even sausage, some folks like pepperoncini peppers too but the pepper flakes give it enough kick. Gotta be careful to keep the garlic translucent or blond in color, otherwise it gets too well done and becomes bitter.

I add cheese as I eat away, with some good Italian bread and a cold one, thats livin'.

Perfect except next time do use the pasta water and add stuff like mushrooms or broccoli even sausage, some folks like pepperoncini peppers too but the pepper flakes give it enough kick. Gotta be careful to keep the garlic translucent or blond in color, otherwise it gets too well done and becomes bitter.

I add cheese as I eat away, with some good Italian bread and a cold one, thats livin'.

I had mushrooms and broccoli on hand and considered it, but wanted to start off simple as possible, and didn't want to frighten off the kids either. :)

Next time will be mushrooms and maybe brocolli rabe too.

Thanks Highlander.

Sounds good except i would never use chicken broth...what were you thinking...i like to add anchovy in mine. i also make it with tomato sauce in the summer time...my ratio of garlic to sauce is for every 12 oz of tomatoes use one full large head of garlic. I could probably eat it every day..

Had it for dinner last night...

Spaghetti, mushrooms, spinach, onion, garlic, peperoncino and pinoli.

Wife fixes it often. She prefers Capelli d'angelo. Sometimes with broccoli...sometimes with sausage.

I'm quite sure these variations have some official moop name, but I don't know what it is.

Spaghetti with oil and garlic.

Here is how I make it:

Bring pot of water to boil.

Preheat saute pan or small sauce pan over low heat.

While water is boiling slice garlic.

Once water comes to boil add salt, then pasta. At this time add olive oil into sautee pan or small sauce pan and increase heat. I use a small sauce pot.

Add tablespoon or so of anchovie paste to the olive oil which is cooked until it dissolves then reduce heat to low (or even remove pan from heat) and add an entire head of garlic that has been sliced thin together with a big pinch of red pepper flakes and stir or shake pan to make sure the garlic doesn't stick.

Cook pasta to aldente and drain. Add garlic oil back to pasta and toss to combine and season with some salt and fresh black pepper.

That's it. It's all in the timing.

As a variation I'll sometimes add toasted breadcrumbs when I toss, or you can throw in some basil with the garlic, or some cut up broccoli to the pasta water in the last minute of cooking.

This is one dish where I don't add some of the pasta water to the sauce, and I NEVER would use chicken broth.

I want the taste of pasta with oil and garlic and the heat of the pepper flakes.

At the Grotto Azure in Little Italy they served me a dish they called pasta broccoli. They saute garlic and pepper flakes in oil, then add chicken stock and simmer the broccoli in that until tender. It's served over pasta in a soupy style, finished with grated cheese and crusty bread. It's a wonderful dish but I would not call it aglio e olio.

Aglio e olio is made as KOQ described. There is no stock in it. But it's the Boston Globe. They're in Boston -- how would they know???

At the Grotto Azure in Little Italy they served me a dish they called pasta broccoli. They saute garlic and pepper flakes in oil, then add chicken stock and simmer the broccoli in that until tender. It's served over pasta in a soupy style, finished with grated cheese and crusty bread. It's a wonderful dish but I would not call it aglio e olio.

Aglio e olio is made as KOQ described. There is no stock in it. But it's the Boston Globe. They're in Boston -- how would they know???

Had that quite a bit as a kid...hated it. We just called it pasta with broccoli. The only good thing about it was that you could pile on the grated cheese...sim would be a pig in ***** with that pasta dish. Only eaten in the winter time, though. Getting a chunk of garlic in your bowl was a treat.

When I lived in NYC in the early 80s I loved the Grotta Azura (corner of Broome and Mulberry) and my favorite meal was fried zucchini followed by pasta Aglio e Olio (in garlic and oil). Fresh/cooked pasta was added to a frying pan in which LOTS of sliced garlic was lightly sautéed in olive oil, tossed a few times and plated. NO broth or pasta water. Cheese and red pepper flakes to taste added at the table. A classic NYC "joint"with pictures of celebrities on the walls - one night they offered me the opportunity to have my picture put up on the wall - long story and a VERY memorable evening!!!

Makes me smile just thinking about those days :D

Sounds like we were going there at the same time. It was our place to go for family dinners in the 70s and 80s. My father and a friend of his were such good customers they had charge accounts there. Grotto rarely did that. I think their accounts were #74 and #75. Loved the valet too. They put the cars wherever and everyone down there knew not to screw with the cars from the Grotto. My favorite was the Filletta di pomodoro. I got their cookbook so I have the recipes. You can copy it if you like. :th:

When I lived in NYC in the early 80s I loved the Grotta Azura (corner of Broome and Mulberry) and my favorite meal was fried zucchini followed by pasta Aglio e Olio (in garlic and oil). Fresh/cooked pasta was added to a frying pan in which LOTS of sliced garlic was lightly sautéed in olive oil, tossed a few times and plated. NO broth or pasta water. Cheese and red pepper flakes to taste added at the table. A classic NYC "joint"with pictures of celebrities on the walls - one night they offered me the opportunity to have my picture put up on the wall - long story and a VERY memorable evening!!!

Makes me smile just thinking about those days :D

Sounds like we were going there at the same time. It was our place to go for family dinners in the 70s and 80s. My father and a friend of his were such good customers they had charge accounts there. Grotto rarely did that. I think their accounts were #74 and #75. Loved the valet too. They put the cars wherever and everyone down there knew not to screw with the cars from the Grotto. My favorite was the Filletta di pomodoro. I got their cookbook so I have the recipes. You can copy it if you like. :th:

That was our go to place when we took a break from our restaurant. lol.