Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canalmadman79

704z spool issue?????

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

hey guys,

does anyone know if the spool on the 704z can be turned in both directions (clockwise and counter-clockwise)?  for some reason, my 704z is doing this but the greenie doesn't.  any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, -mike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryfishing View Post

ihae a 704z greenie and the drag has no noise is that aproblem or is it normal

Look under the spool and see if the screw that holds down the click tongue is too tight. Mine was silent when I first got it and I was taking it apart to clean it one time and realized it wasn't working properly. Backed off the screw a LITTLE bit and it worked great.

Now you MIGHT want the clicking to be silenced so people don't know you have one on, but that is up to you tongue.gif

You probably figured out by now but the green (704) and black (704Z) had a dog and spring that only allowed the spool to go one way. The gold spools have a different system that allowed the spool to go both ways.

And yes, I have encountered several green/black spools where the previous owner removed the dog/spring/screw to keep things silent as a fish screamed out.

And yes, I have encountered green/black spools that were screwed down/corroded so the dog would not click. As Scratch mentioned above, back off a tiny bit and maybe a little grease, and all should be fine.