Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muskyslayer96

Wood filler for smaller lures made from soft woods

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey fellas,

I started making some smaller walleye/bass sized swimming plugs at my buddies request. I'm looking for a wood filler that won't add as much weight as epoxy putty, and that is a lot easier to sand, doesn't shrink much and can be sealed to be water proof. Is there such a product? I know some people use bondo?

The plugs get little dings and I'd like to fill around the lip slot and clean the eye holes up a little. I use epoxy putty on all my musky stuf and it can be a real pain to sand down without messing up the clean wood.

Thanks in advance fellas,

MS

Although epoxy will yield the best results, I understand your concerns. Epoxy has a very strong bond to the surrounding surfaces. While bondo will fill the voids and be easier to sand, the bond is somewhat compromised if, or when, the wood expands and contracts. PC Woody is a good product that is a two part wood epoxy and sands a little easier than Devcon 2 Ton. Down side is it takes a day to cure. The fastest and easiest to sand is going to be bondo. Try it and see how it works for you. If it fails, step up to PCW or something similar.

I often mix the sawdust from the wood I'm filling with elmers glue or epoxy and use that as a filler. The wood making the past as filler lightens by weight the fill material.