Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TravHale

Abu Garcia Revo Inshore

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Interesting, I've never read any indication of this. What parts, specifically, corroded on you. How were you using the reel? This reel was built for saltwater using corrosive resistant material. Granted I have no experience with the reel, but I find it hard to believe it would fare so poorly.

i own the reel, it's great- smooth, longcasting, light, comfortable, fairly rugged, but as was stated before fairly prone to corrosion if not cleaned/maintained properly. also, drag is definitely overrated (nowhere near 20 lbs).

scroll all the way down to see pics of corrosion.

http://*************/index.php?topic=16.0

(that's ************* where the stars are. mods dont get mad! just tryin to share some useful info.)

(HAHA wow. ok. third try. a l a n t a n i . c o m , without the spaces, where the stars are.)

It was my experience that they are maintenance ******. Keep up with the cleaning and lubrication or they will corrode severely.

I've had mine a few years and no problems. I rinse tackle after every trip but not much else til the end of the season.

i own the reel, it's great- smooth, longcasting, light, comfortable, fairly rugged, but as was stated before fairly prone to corrosion if not cleaned/maintained properly. also, drag is definitely overrated (nowhere near 20 lbs).

scroll all the way down to see pics of corrosion.

http://*************/index.php?topic=16.0

(that's ************* where the stars are. mods dont get mad! just tryin to share some useful info.)

(HAHA wow. ok. third try. a l a n t a n i . c o m , without the spaces, where the stars are.)

Thanks, I checked that site out. Some of those reels looked pretty bad. Though, I must say, they also appear to be a product of neglect. Most any reel would corrode in such a manner if left to its own with no care given. I'm not trying to defend this reel at all but if it corrodes like that under "freshwater" use as one poster indicated, then saltwater would absolutely destroy it, how would they be able to market it as an inshore saltwater reel?

Owned one for the past year. Fished in the salt for a total of a month or so, fished in freshwater 5+ nights a week, approximately 8 months of the year. Reel was stripped/cleaned twice over the past year, both times when I got home from week long saltwater trips. Reel was rinsed after each outing on those weeklong trips. Was not cleaned after daytrips to the salt, just rinsed. I have probably cleaned the bearings 4x since I am obsessive about bearings.

I have seen NO corrosion at all. Dinged, scratched, cosmetic wear - shonuff. If it's taken care of the way a quality reel should be, I don't see corrosion being a problem.

I have had mine for two years. I use it primarily for Bucktails and Plugs in the bay area, so it sees salt only. I have had it factory serviced for being stuck in free spool (almost out of the box )

I have experienced noisy casts with diminishing distance. It sounded like the gears were grinding... I pulled up ******'s website, and serviced it myself. My findings were not corrosion per say, yet heavy salt buildup in the spool bearings. IMO, the bearings lack shielding from salt incursion during extended use. My solution was to clean/oil the bearings, then add a drop of oil to my post fishing trip routine. I have always rinsed my gear lightly, with a few shakes and a towel off.

Though it has had its issues, I still enjoy using this reel. It just fit me perfectly. I loaded it with 20lb Samaurai and can cast good distance.

would I buy another? Yes...

My future plans will be to replace the bearings With some higher grade ceramics.

PS Alan Tani has full pics of the tear down , and if you search Shimano reel maintanence on YouTube you will see a series of vids that are very informative about servicing most any reel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TravHale View Post

Thanks, I checked that site out. Some of those reels looked pretty bad. Though, I must say, they also appear to be a product of neglect. Most any reel would corrode in such a manner if left to its own with no care given. I'm not trying to defend this reel at all but if it corrodes like that under "freshwater" use as one poster indicated, then saltwater would absolutely destroy it, how would they be able to market it as an inshore saltwater reel?

Hi I know this is an old thread, but I have the answer...and I think many already know it. They upgraded the Revo series with the NaCL reels which are designed to be more for saltwater than previous models. Yes I know the inshore was supposed to be a saltwater reel, and it is if youc are for it, but the parts weren't really highly corrosion resistant. Hopefully the Revo NaCL proves to be better for salt applications.

I do have a real reel question though related to the inshore.....What are people's takes of low profile reels in general. I use them for smaller fishing applications such as fishing in my pond and lake here, but for heavier fishing do you guy like low profile reels or more traidtional round reels? I have been using round reels only for salt and low profiles only for fresh, but that's just because my low profiles are clearly not for salt use...I don't want to spend nearly $300 for a reel I wish I hadn't bought.

Maybe the low profiles are better suited for your really light lure applications, like 3/8-5/8 oz? I am not sure I would have a use for that in my saltware fishing....maybe I could find a use for it, but it would be a special use reel, not a general use reel in that case. I mean that's why I like my abu low profiles for fresh, because the reels are designed for that lighter application.

Maybe the low profiles are better suited for your really light lure applications, like 3/8-5/8 oz? I am not sure I would have a use for that in my saltware fishing....maybe I could find a use for it, but it would be a special use reel, not a general use reel in that case. I mean that's why I like my abu low profiles for fresh, because the reels are designed for that lighter application.

I want manufacturers to make larger low-profile reels with the line capacity of an Abu 7000.

...I do have a real reel question though related to the inshore.....What are people's takes of low profile reels in general. I use them for smaller fishing applications such as fishing in my pond and lake here, but for heavier fishing do you guy like low profile reels or more traidtional round reels? I have been using round reels only for salt and low profiles only for fresh, but that's just because my low profiles are clearly not for salt use...

I use several of the revo reels (inshore and winch) for freshwater stripers. Throwing everything from 3/8 oz bucktails to 1 1/2 oz plugs. No issues with stripers to 20# or so. I also have one of the turo reels (5000 series) that I've used in the salt and fresh for stripers. Higher line capacity. Handled stripers to 35# with this reel and no issues. Trolled T/W from the yak as well as thrown a variety of jigs and plugs to 2 oz.

Jigman

Hi I know this is an old thread, but I have the answer...and I think many already know it. They upgraded the Revo series with the NaCL reels which are designed to be more for saltwater than previous models. Yes I know the inshore was supposed to be a saltwater reel, and it is if youc are for it, but the parts weren't really highly corrosion resistant. Hopefully the Revo NaCL proves to be better for salt applications.

I do have a real reel question though related to the inshore.....What are people's takes of low profile reels in general. I use them for smaller fishing applications such as fishing in my pond and lake here, but for heavier fishing do you guy like low profile reels or more traidtional round reels? I have been using round reels only for salt and low profiles only for fresh, but that's just because my low profiles are clearly not for salt use...I don't want to spend nearly $300 for a reel I wish I hadn't bought.

Just to update.. I ended up returning the reel. The AR bearing went out, there were metal shavings throughout the inside of the reel, corrosion resistance was not good, etc.. I ended up buying a few Shimano Curados and am very happy with them. I think the Revo Inshore is way over priced if you pay retail. I only paid $120 for the reel and still feel that it wasn't worth that. The reel is nice looking and feels great in your hands, but that was about all it had going for it in my opinion. The Curados I replaced it with have been wonderful to use and maintain.. they also appear to be more corrosion resistant.

To answer your question regarding low profile reels. I made the switch to low profile reels for all of my inshore fishing. I live on the Gulf Coast and fish for trout, flounder, redfish, etc. and they work well on these species. One of the greatest advantages is that they are light and fit well into the palms of you hands, which really makes a difference when you're fishing all day long--throwing lures.. With upgraded drag washers they can handle fairly large fish and thin braid allows you the ability to fit a lot decent pound test line on the small spools. Overall, i'm very happy with the Curados I have, and have no doubt they can handle just about inshore species I could catch in my area.

Shimano TranX Baitcasting Reels

420yrd of #50 braid should do it.

Tranx is certainly a beast I've got it paired up with a st croix legend musky 8'6 rated 2-6. Used it for throwing large wood and bunker snags off the boat. The word overpowering comes to mind....stopped 25-35 lb fish in their tracks.