Followers 0
daves745t

2012 NJ Fluke Regs

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

Season from May 5 to September 28

5 Fish Limit @ 17.5 inches

So whatcha think?

I know guys who target them from the surf should be happy. But will we ever get those three fish back?

The bigger problem in losing three fish is now we have a better chance of over fishing our quota, and with that an "emergency shut down" is a possibility if this occurs and regs in 2013 will be cut back big time.

I always thought the 8 fish limit was basically an unobtainable one, so I really don't care about that. But I do think we will over fish at the smaller size though.

Do people really throw fish back a 1/2" short? I thought you were supposed to cut the neck and stretch them out? I have no idea how NJ can get a smaller size limit, even with less fish, than NY.

Drew, last year I went out every week with my Dad, often with my Mom - we averaged 5 keepers each per trip at 18", in Raritan Bay. Last year was a very good year though.

out of the two boat fluke trips i did last year one was on a party boat an i caught 5 keeps,..had to work hard for them, though...i'd say that was a fairly mediocre day for a mediocre fluke fisherman like me.

This is the response to the NMF peaking in and listening to reports like Caught over 50 fluke, 9 keepers, ORL....To us its a good fisherman, who caught and kept his legal limit and had a fun day. To ther NMF its...this guy killed 30 fluke....the 8 he kept, plus 1/2 of whatever he threw back.

I also liked last years regs better...it gave you something to shoot for. Most days a limit in not achieved. SO I guess there logic is that if they lower the bar...the PB's will limit out and go home early.

Thats why all good fishing trip reports should be something like...."fishing was good today. Good action and enough keepers for a couple of nice dinners" ....instead of one NY boat saying....Fluking was off the charts today....1000+ fish and a full boat limit. OK so a PB that carried 35 people took home 70 fish...but they killed 570 fish as "Calculated" by the NMFS. Its Junk Science! Did they do the tagging studies?? The Biomass of fluke is the largest I have ever seen! Some of the Shorts they catch today used to win pools years ago! Fluking has gotten better and we get to catch less.

When will they stop?? WHen people wading the surf get there toes bitten by fluke??

You guys got hosed by your own South Jersey Captains who by a slight margin nudged out Option 2.

If you didn't go to the meeting you shouldn't even complain or open your mouths IMHO. You had the choice of going and swinging the vote towards a better option but you chose not to, so please if you didn't go to the meeting, shut up and take like a man or woman. :)

I am not kidding either, you just lost 3 fish you will never get back. Once again You can thank the Southern Jersey boys for this who run Charter boats and head boats... ;)

Soon you will see our regs, unless you start voicing your opinions to the open mic night at these meetings.

Oh and the really sad thing about it is that your charter and headboat captains will lose a lot of NY guys who usually fis on jersey boats. :(

Rusty it's BS, money talks and BS walks, **** how can they know how many fluke were caught ?

We can talk at the mic all dam day. Its pretzel logic that they use, and BS science.