Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler Paul

New Fluke and Sea Bass regs set, blackfish revisited

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

New Fluke Regs Set

5/5-9/28, 5 fish bag limit at 17.5”

I feel like we were beaten up in our own back yard. The council did in fact initially favor option 2 and it was even highlighted as their favored option. However, the majority of those present favored option 5 and it swayed the council. There were more tackle store, party and charter boat representatives there from south jersey than from central and northern NJ. Most but mot all favored the smaller size limit. I know for a fact that many of the stores, and captains in our area favored the longer season but unfortunately they did not show up at the meeting. The council vote was 5-3 with the chairman abstaining once there was a majority. I am certain that with just a little more support for the longer season that the outcome would have been different. Lets all remember that for next year.

The new sea bass regs for NJ waters have been set as follows though there is a chance that they may be changed.

May 19 - October 14 and November 1 to December 31

25 fish at 12.5 "

January 1 - February 28, 2013 (this portion will be voted on in the future)

15 fish at 12.5"

At the NJFMC meeting today the council stated they would revisit the blackfish regulations that were previously set. As it turns out our NJMFC set the regulations after they were directed to do so by the ASMFC. After our regs were set, new data came out showing that we did not have to cut back by as much as they initially indicated

I think guys that target fluke from the surf are happy with that 1/2 inch reduction. Might actually be able to take a few home for the table on a fairly consistent basis.

Catching 8 without a boat is impossible at 18 inches and 5 at 17.5 would be a real accomplishment IMO. Wish the season was a little longer.

Bottom line is that there is going to be a lot more fish kept this year.

So now both tog & fluke wil be out of the Governor's cup.:( Don't see the sense of 1/2" reduction to give up so much fishing time. :mad: Hope everybody who posts next October about all the fkuke they had to throw back remembers this.

I think guys that target fluke from the surf are happy with that 1/2 inch reduction. Might actually be able to take a few home for the table on a fairly consistent basis.

Catching 8 without a boat is impossible at 18 inches and 5 at 17.5 would be a real accomplishment IMO. Wish the season was a little longer.

Bottom line is that there is going to be a lot more fish kept this year.

Can't remember the last time I caught 5 17 1/2" fluke from surf in one week, never mind 1 day. :shock: The shorter season definitely is going to make a difference.

I fluke from a boat so I don't the longer season wouldn't favor me much. And that half makes a big difference for those fishing for dinner. Thanks to all who showed up and made this happen. It will be alot less dead drifting flounder as well, I only keep maybe two but I know alot of guys harvest all their keepers and throw back a good amount of 17.5" fish. But a 5 fish limit is to high.

It was fine at 18". Everybody will be moaning about the 17.499" fluke they had to throw back soon enough. The fishery was getting better and better, this is a step backward.

Giving up 3 fish is bad we will never get them back . Also we will over fish the quota and have that deducted from the 2013 quota with even a smaller bag linit. We should have kept it 8 at 18". We are playing right into there hads with another spieces of fish.

The thing that really surprises me is that the board was set to go with one of the other options but changed their selection due to the comments made at the meeting. All of the sudden their going to listen to us? That's a first...