Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
halipercod

Curado 301

6 posts in this topic

Hello, you guys think the Curado 301E will throw Hollow body frogs well? Any one have experience using this reel with frogs? The 201 im thinking would probably be better for this, lighter spool, but the 301 could double as a light surf set up for Halibut. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Hello, you guys think the Curado 301E will throw Hollow body frogs well? Any one have experience using this reel with frogs? The 201 im thinking would probably be better for this, lighter spool, but the 301 could double as a light surf set up for Halibut. What do you guys think? Thanks.

It will probably cast them fine but like you said I would opt for the 201. I launch 1oz baits with mine all the time so I'm sure a frog about around 3/4oz would be ok, especially thrown on braid. The problem is what kind of rod are you going to be using becuase you want somewhat of a softer/moderate tip if its a heavy duty rod so that you can actually load up to cast such a small bait.

Im not sure... im considering either a Mojo Bass rod or a Carrot Stix Gold rod. I guess the lightest id be trying to throw with the 301 would be 5/8oz Spro frog, probably couldnt handle it right? What do you guys think is the lightest a 201 can throw if lower than a 5/8oz frog? thanks

Im not sure... im considering either a Mojo Bass rod or a Carrot Stix Gold rod. I guess the lightest id be trying to throw with the 301 would be 5/8oz Spro frog, probably couldnt handle it right? What do you guys think is the lightest a 201 can throw if lower than a 5/8oz frog? thanks

It sounds like the reel is a little big for the rods you mentioned, size wize. I haven't tried throwing a spro frog with mine but Im sure the 301e could do it, probably not as far as a 201 though. I can throw 3" and 4" senkos weightless with the 201e no problem.

At 10.5 oz. its on the large end of low profiles. But it's a Curado, and they do it all well. Their centrifugal brakes are tops. I fish a 101, 201, and have held the 300 size. For its dual use capabilities I would go for it.