Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SG1

killies...

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I found a local killie honey hole last weekend... It's loaded with big fat juicy fluke candy. Is it feasble for me to keep a couple hundred alive in my garage with freshwater until may/june?? I remember that wade brackman used to use pure freshwater at the tackle shop.. I was thinking of a big garbage can, a bubbler and an occasional water change.. whaddya think, any other ideas??

A friend had about a 6' round baby pool in the basement w/ a 110v aerator, don't remember what type of fresh water minnow he kept but they did good. the type of pool that costs about $10 bucks in wallys.

How about leaving them there and catching them in May?

Old neighbor use to have a cast iron bath tub in his garage with an aerator. He use to catch and keep only the biggest killies around. He would feed them and change the water often.

How about leaving them there and catching them in May?

Old neighbor use to have a cast iron bath tub in his garage with an aerator. He use to catch and keep only the biggest killies around. He would feed them and change the water often.

Right now, I' ve got a little time. Come May/June I barely have time to fish. Having a ready supply of bait would be great. I only want to take what I can use, and will cull like your neighbor. I am assuming he used freshwater?? I'm on a well, so chlorine is not an issue.

Freshwater works. Be careful of shocking them (rapid change in water temperature)

Killies are tough kritters - they thrive in the back back back back highly poluted parts of the hackey where only them and some mutant carp can live.

I have kept killies alive in a cooler at home for a week with regular water changes.

I keep killies.

#1. They breate air.

#2. I use straight tap water

#3. I don't worry much about temp changes.

#4. They stink bad. Either change the water daily or twice a day, or have some powerful filters.

I catch my killies and keep them in a 5 gallon bucket with a very loosely fitting lid (remember they breate air, and I learned it the hard way.), I also add a small pump with an airstone, I think it does count for something. I normally have up to 50 or 60 jumbos in a bucket, never needed to keep more than that at any given time. They can sometimes last me a few weeks. I fill the bucket up with the hose and put them directly in the water. Every once in a while I'll put some kind of food in there and I empty out the water at a minimum daily and refill from the hose.

Sure, killies do well in captivity. Changing the water is a must, like others have said. If not, the ammonia level gets too high and they wind up dying off. Or, you can put them in a fish tank with filter and proper filter cartridge, which is the best way to go. Make sure you feed them. I used to just by the cheap flake food from the store and sprinkle some in every day or 2. If you don't change the water and feed them too much, they will die on you. Killies can be nasty if not found and taken out. Do NOT feed them bread.

I keep mine in the neighbors pool!

I wouldn't do that to the killies.... you should see my neaighbors :D

is it a good, hidden spot? I use an old trap with the ends closed, and leave it in the water. Occasionally feed them, and have them when u need them.

Nope. The trap would be spotted in a heartbeat...

I keep em in a plastic bin under my hose spicket and just add water every few days. I also throw some grass and weeds on top and only lose a few out of 80-100 Killies. Longest I have kept them is a month. I also keep them in flow troll buckets so I can just lift out the buckets and dump the water when I want to do a complete water change. Also when I go fishing I just grab one of the three buckets and go. No sorting or netting them. It just saves time. Happy hunting...

Nice Billy...

My latest brainstorm involves an automated system that connects to one of my sprinkler zones. The zone comes on ever other day, and would change out the water completely.... May use a metal garbage can with plastic liner to keep out the critters.