Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sefmonster

Need some info on a certain Newell

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have an old school Newell model number G 454 T. I can't find any info on it anywhere. I was going to use it as one of my back up outfits for an upcoming Tile fish trip. I am wondering how much 50lb braid it can hold and also how much 65lb braid it can hold. I use Daiwa multi colored braid which I love. I was also wondering what the gear ratio is ? I know I'm asking alot of questions but I'm lost on this one! HELP! If anyone gets me the info I'll send you a NEW PLUG on me! I'm serious!

Newell's capacity is built into their reel numbering. The first number in the reel's part number is its series, so yours is a 400 series reel, meaning that it is designed nominally as a reel for 40 lbs test line. The remaining numbers ( when multiplied by 10) denote the line capacity for that lbs test. So the remaining numbers on your reel are 54, which means that your reel is designed to hold 540 yards of 40 lbs test mono. Of course, this varies with line diameter. Cheaper, thicker line will reduce the line capacity. Similarly,

G229 - G series reel, capacity= 290 yds of 20lbs test mono

C332 - C series reel, capacity= 290 yds of 30lbs test mono

S646 - S series reel, capacity= 460 yds of 60lbs test mono

As far as braid capacity goes, I would just increase it by the normal mono/braid ratio for any reel. Using this link and the fact that Ande Premium mono has a diameter of .61mm (=.024inches), your capacity is about 925 yds of 50 lbs PowerPro.

As far as I know, 4, 3 & 2 series share same gears, but some of them does come with 5 series gear because at one time you can send it in to newell for upgard to 5 serie gear. Have you open it up and take a look? There is big difference in term of power.

Thanks for the help clarifying things. I never opened it up since I'm a horrible mechanic and would never be able to put it back together. I can bring it in for servicing so do you recommend some upgrades. I'm going on a Tile fish trip so any tips would be welcomed but I'll leave them to the experts!...Thanks