Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dinhdinh

semi-homemade Shadow box

7 posts in this topic

hey SOL, so with threads ive posted its bout time i give some back, 

with help and threads from many on here i made my own shadow box or display box case thing. 

i am currently working on it now, and will post of pictures of the progress very soon!

thank you to everyone here that posted information on shadow box!

Here is what i got so far, everything was bouight at local art and craft store and stuff i found laying around at home. 

I bought a premade shadow box(what i like bout this box was the magnets are used to keep it shut), cork(ended up not using) and black foam poster. thought i would use the cork so the t-pins can be attached, but the black foam poster did the job. 

i wanted the box to fit 4-6plugs and i had to measure the space to determine the thickness of foam at bottom. used my biggest plug to make sure incase i ever change the content of the box. 

as i was cutting the foam to get the edges i felt that the foam was better choice to cut down the weight. when i finished cutting the foam and fit everything in i was about to leave to get paint for the box, but my gf came back(she left saying she has an idead) and gave me a bag of left over velvet fabric her mom used for curtains. so i went back inside and took things apart and started trimming the foam again to fit the fabric.

I used spray adhesive to attached the foam to fabric(folding the fabric behind the foam is the worst part of project, havnt figure best way to do it, but im happy with what it is now.) felt that there was too much space in there, i added another layer of foam(scrap pieces) under the main bed and everything fit perfectly, if i ever need space ill just remove those spacing.

i think i might like it better if the fabric was of dark blue...but hey, save idea and exp for next project huhwink.gif right now i just need to tape the glass up blue painter tape, get paint and paint the box. not sure what color to paint the box, so opinion on that would be great too!

also getting a plate/tag done and stamped from a local trophy store.

next update i hope to get the paint done and see if my girl have any t-pins at home before i go out and buy it. 

What do you guys think so far? what color should the box be?

P1020786.JPGP1020787.JPGP1020789.JPGP1020790.JPGP1020792.JPGP1020791.JPGP1020793.JPGP1020794.JPGP1020795.JPGP1020797.JPGP1020796.JPG

Nice Work,, I like it.... Keep a eye out at Michaels because from time to time maybe twice a year they discount their large Black on Black Shadow Boxes like 60% off.. Here is one that I just made up during the winter..

Nice Work,, I like it.... Keep a eye out at Michaels because from time to time maybe twice a year they discount their large Black on Black Shadow Boxes like 60% off.. Here is one that I just made up during the winter..

how do you guys hold the plugs in place, I'd like to make some of these, thanks matt

how do you guys hold the plugs in place, I'd like to make some of these, thanks matt

Matt,

T-Pins , I guess you call them.. Stick one thru the line-tie in the front and the other thru the rear hook hanger.. The key is having enough cushion on your back board to allow the pins to penatrate enough to hold the plug.. It's a very clean look with them...

Steve

Matt,

T-Pins , I guess you call them.. Stick one thru the line-tie in the front and the other thru the rear hook hanger.. The key is having enough cushion on your back board to allow the pins to penatrate enough to hold the plug.. It's a very clean look with them...

Steve

t-pins, can I get these at michael's, I want to make a shadow box for ryans golden trout series,

i didnt ask the workers at micheals, since i had some, and just bought some at joann fabric store, im sure walmart has them too in fabris area. you can ask the workers at micheals if the other places are not close