WILL THICKER BRAID PREVENT WIND KNOTS

Rate this topic

MagDarter

Title says it all.  To give you a bit of background I am currently using 50# Power Pro on a VS 250 and a 10 FT Lami.  I keep getting wind knots despite dunking my reel before I start casting, making sure to put the line on my roller tight before re-casting, the spool has been lined via machine etc.

I was wondering if i bumped up to 65 or even 80# braid if that would cause less wind knots.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks SOL!

Upgrading to a higher pound braid would basically lessen your ability to cast and to get distance. I think personally you should look at your spool and technique your using on pulling the line back onto the roller, this might be the issue. What will you be able to throw correctly if you spool up with 60-80# braid? Uisng a leader of 60-80 I heard of but never spooling up the VS with that much in braid strength. Hope you figure it out.

Wind knots come from a few things . to much line on the spool. ( Over spooling ) the leader is to heavy for the lure your throwing, or the line is to heavy for the lure your throwing . if you thrown a 1/2 ounce to 3/4 ounce lure with a 60 pound leader on you will run into problems. if your spool is put on to the end of the metal of the spool you will run into problems. if your line weight is to heavy for the lures your throwing you will run into problems. last is have your line put on by machine. it will go on much tighter to the reel that helps alot. good luck. Lockbox

Wind knots come from a few things . to much line on the spool. ( Over spooling ) the leader is to heavy for the lure your throwing, or the line is to heavy for the lure your throwing . if you thrown a 1/2 ounce to 3/4 ounce lure with a 60 pound leader on you will run into problems. if your spool is put on to the end of the metal of the spool you will run into problems. if your line weight is to heavy for the lures your throwing you will run into problems. last is have your line put on by machine. it will go on much tighter to the reel that helps alot. good luck. Lockbox

i understand that overfilling and too light of lure may contribute to windknots but what does the leader have to do with it?

to the OP i would look at how the reel lays line before the lb test. if there is variance in the spool going up and down and either making a slight cone shape or overlapping some place because the pinion is sticking it could lead to MAJOR headaches. i had it happen with a reel in the past and no amount of line test would correct the problem.

I would be evaluating your casting technique. Before the cast, is the line in the first crease or bend of your index finger? If so, you're probably getting to much arc (height) in your cast allowing the air to catch your plug and line. This slows down the velocity of the plug and line before what is coming off the spool. Make sure the line is just on the ball of your index finger and concentrate on your release point to bring the arc of your cast down. Once you develop a better technique, I think you'll find you're getting fewer wind knots.

Make sure the line lays correctly on the spool.

Try a different line sufix,fireline etc.I have from 20 -50 on my vs's and wind knots are seldom if any.

I have found most of my wind knots are actually user error knots.lol.Not making sure the line is tight after I reeled in.Having a little loop in the spool etc.

While your sleeping in the upper lot,I am perched on weakfish rock.

Montauk.jpg

I always keep the line at the tip of my finger not in the bend of my index finger.  I also always make sure i bring the line tight onto the roller.  I atttached a picture of me casting not sure if i'm doing anything wrong but any insight might help.  My reel is never over spooled and moreso looks like a bit of an hour glass on how it sits on the spool if that makes any sense.  Please let me know your thoughts guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bospa357 View Post

I would be evaluating your casting technique. Before the cast, is the line in the first crease or bend of your index finger? If so, you're probably getting to much arc (height) in your cast allowing the air to catch your plug and line. This slows down the velocity of the plug and line before what is coming off the spool. Make sure the line is just on the ball of your index finger and concentrate on your release point to bring the arc of your cast down. Once you develop a better technique, I think you'll find you're getting fewer wind knots.

I've tried Suffix, Power Pro, and Samuri braid, so far i've had less problems with Power Pro believe it or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtkRockHopper View Post

Make sure the line lays correctly on the spool.

Try a different line sufix,fireline etc.I have from 20 -50 on my vs's and wind knots are seldom if any.

I have found most of my wind knots are actually user error knots.lol.Not making sure the line is tight after I reeled in.Having a little loop in the spool etc.

In my experience, machines wind line on too tight and with a tighter wrap pattern than your spool's oscillation pattern wraps it. As you fish it gets unwound and rewound under normal pressure and cross-wrapped, so it's not as compacted as much and takes up more space on the spool. Now your previously correctly-filled spool is over-filled, and will continue becoming overfilled even as you cut line off with each windknot because you'll keep casting into and rewinding deeper layers of tightly-packed line.

I have never had success with machine-wrapped spools or tightly packing line on manually as everyone seems to recommend. If you fill the spool at normal fishing pressure by letting the reel wrap it on then your line will always take of the same amount of space and you can fill it to the correct amount with certainty.

$0.02

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

I'm almost always using 60-80lb mono depending on where i'm fishing.  I don't throw anything less than 1 oz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianZ View Post

i understand that overfilling and too light of lure may contribute to windknots but what does the leader have to do with it?

to the OP i would look at how the reel lays line before the lb test. if there is variance in the spool going up and down and either making a slight cone shape or overlapping some place because the pinion is sticking it could lead to MAJOR headaches. i had it happen with a reel in the past and no amount of line test would correct the problem.

You can try a bump up to 65, it's not going to effect distance much.

Make sure not under or overlined.

Also begin or end every session with a heavy tin, or even sinker and cast out as far as you can then reel in under tension. Try this before spending $$$ on new braid, because 50 should be enough to keep the knots out.

if we're looking for a shark we're not gonna find him on the land

You are saying "line-roller" yet your picture shows a conventional type surf reel. Which are you using ? I concur that a heavier line is NOT a solution. Alot of these inputs are from very knowledgable fisherman I know and have confidence in. Listen to them. Good luckat solving your problem.

If you're going to be at the food fling, bring the setup along and we'll figure it out.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

You are saying "line-roller" yet your picture shows a conventional type surf reel. Which are you using ? I concur that a heavier line is NOT a solution. Alot of these inputs are from very knowledgable fisherman I know and have confidence in. Listen to them. Good luckat solving your problem.

due thats a spinning reel in that picture.... look at theguides on the rod.

also i had a huge wind knot issue once too, i know you wont but i got a rod with concept guides... GOSH what a difference that made

467x700px-LL-0c4c9b1a_Montauk.jpeg

I always keep the line at the tip of my finger not in the bend of my index finger.  I also always make sure i bring the line tight onto the roller.  I atttached a picture of me casting not sure if i'm doing anything wrong but any insight might help.  My reel is never over spooled and moreso looks like a bit of an hour glass on how it sits on the spool if that makes any sense.  Please let me know your thoughts guys.

The Hour glass thing might be your problem the line should be even when on your spool.If it is bunching up in the middle of your spool and looks like an hour glass. That could be your problem. send the spool back to be servised, when you get it back put new backing and thread on .Go to a good B&T and pay the extra bucks for hew backing and new thread to be put on . There machines put it on much tighter than yoou could,, that sounds like that could be your problem. your casts are great your bend in your rod is a beautfui thing Ha! Ha! so that is not the problem at all. good luck let me know how it turns out Bob