Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BranfordJeff

What crime did he actually commit?

Rate this topic

141 posts in this topic

I cannot figure out what crime this kid actually committed, and why he was arrested. The charges are BS and won't stick.

I  definitely don't like what he was pulling, but I also feel it's protected free speech, as he never made any threats.

Ohio Teen Arrested After Posing With Gun, Posting Threats On ******** Following School Shooting

MANTUA, Ohio (CBS Cleveland) – Just one day after a school shooting devastated Chardon High School in Ohio, a local teen was arrested after posting a new ******** profile picture that showed him posing with an assault rifle.

The Portage County Sheriff’s Office apprehended the 17-year-old Crestwood High School student on Tuesday morning, after several concerned citizens called in about the image.

Some of his posts also reportedly raised concerns.

Lt. Gregory A. Johnson of the Portage County Sheriff’s Office told CBS Cleveland that the student had, on multiple occasions, posted status updates that celebrated school violence.

“I’m close to going on a stabbing spree,” one post, written on Feb. 22, said. “I can’t take some of these people anymore.”

“Who agrees with their friend that it’s a good idea to shoot up a school?” the teen wrote just hours after the school shooting that has claimed three lives so far.

Students reportedly expressed concern to school officials, who alerted the local authorities. He was arrested as soon as he arrived on campus.

The student’s social networking page has allegedly since been shut down.

He will now face two counts of inducing panic, one count each of aggravated menacing and telecommunications harassment. All of the charges are first-degree misdemeanors.

At present, he is being held at the Portage/Geauga County Juvenile Detention Facility, and appeared in court on Feb. 29.

I think the crimes were inducing panic, aggravated menacing , and telecommunications harrassment.

Sounds like the kid's got issues, and if he was mine, we'd be out behind the woodshed. :mad:

A 17 y.o. shouldn't be harboring those kind of emotions, and frankly, society can't just ignore these warning signs.

His ******** password should be changed, maybe that would straighten him out.

Yeah, BB, that's what they charged him with, and it's all BS, I want to know what crime he committed.

Yes, he's an effed up kid, but he did nothing illegal. Close, but posing with a gun isn't a crime, expressing feelings without making a direct threat isn't a crime, etc.

He's basically charged with thought crimes. That ain't right. I swear, we're looking more and more like the old Soviet Union every day.

better for the cops to overreact in a situation like this and arrest the kid for anything that even resembles a relevant charge. Those charges sticking is almost unimportant.

Yeah, BB, that's what they charged him with, and it's all BS, I want to know what crime he committed.

Yes, he's an effed up kid, but he did nothing illegal. Close, but posing with a gun isn't a crime, expressing feelings without making a direct threat isn't a crime, etc.

He's basically charged with thought crimes. That ain't right. I swear, we're looking more and more like the old Soviet Union every day.

Except that he published those thoughts and those thoughts could be considered threats. Would your feelings be different if he posted pictures saying he was ready to start "jihad" at the high school?

I cannot figure out what crime this kid actually committed, and why he was arrested. The charges are BS and won't stick.

I  definitely don't like what he was pulling, but I also feel it's protected free speech, as he never made any threats.

Ohio Teen Arrested After Posing With Gun, Posting Threats On ******** Following School Shooting

MANTUA, Ohio (CBS Cleveland) – Just one day after a school shooting devastated Chardon High School in Ohio, a local teen was arrested after posting a new ******** profile picture that showed him posing with an assault rifle.

The Portage County Sheriff’s Office apprehended the 17-year-old Crestwood High School student on Tuesday morning, after several concerned citizens called in about the image.

Some of his posts also reportedly raised concerns.

Lt. Gregory A. Johnson of the Portage County Sheriff’s Office told CBS Cleveland that the student had, on multiple occasions, posted status updates that celebrated school violence.

“I’m close to going on a stabbing spree,” one post, written on Feb. 22, said. “I can’t take some of these people anymore.”

“Who agrees with their friend that it’s a good idea to shoot up a school?” the teen wrote just hours after the school shooting that has claimed three lives so far.

Students reportedly expressed concern to school officials, who alerted the local authorities. He was arrested as soon as he arrived on campus.

The student’s social networking page has allegedly since been shut down.

He will now face two counts of inducing panic, one count each of aggravated menacing and telecommunications harassment. All of the charges are first-degree misdemeanors.

At present, he is being held at the Portage/Geauga County Juvenile Detention Facility, and appeared in court on Feb. 29.

"im close to going on a stabbing spree" isnt a threat????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billybob View Post

I disagree Jeff.

I wouldn't want my kid going to school with someone who posts "I'm close to going on a stabbing spree"

Would you?

For the life of me I can't figure out how anyone could be siding with this kid.

such threats AND proof you have access to weapons would be enough for me to haul him in,

maybe have him undergo psychiatric evaluation etc.

this seems like a no brainer to me.

thats what i meant by- the charges sticking is unimportant. He is now on everyones radar screen, will get an eval, parents invovled, school involved...and thats a good thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billybob View Post

I disagree Jeff.

I wouldn't want my kid going to school with someone who posts "I'm close to going on a stabbing spree"

Would you?

No, I agree with you there, but it's not a crime to post that. Send him to a psych hospital for a 30-day eval, yeah, but it's not a crime to say something that stupid or demented.

Quote:

Originally Posted by titleguy View Post

Except that he published those thoughts and those thoughts could be considered threats. Would your feelings be different if he posted pictures saying he was ready to start "jihad" at the high school?

No, my thoughts would be no differrent.

Publishing it via the book of faces is no different than speaking it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobigblue View Post

"im close to going on a stabbing spree" isnt a threat????

No.

I'm by no means defending this sick kid, by the way, just taking the stance that he didn't actually commit a crime worthy of being arrested.

I would like like to be wrong, as rare as that is, and have someone to show me what actual crime he committed, not the BS he was charged with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BranfordJeff View Post

No, I agree with you there, but it's not a crime to post that. Send him to a psych hospital for a 30-day eval, yeah, but it's not a crime to say something that stupid or demented.

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I'm gonna guess that committing someone to a psych hospital, even for a few days, would be an even tougher legal hurdle than arresting him - and an even slipperier societal slope to go down, especially if you wanna roll with your analogy of how things used to happen in the former Soviet Union.