Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hardbait

5 mil. or 7 mil. wetsuit ?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

looking to get a wetsuit for year round, my first year, should i go for 5 mil. or 7 mil. i am looking at the neosport xspan full suit . appreciate any help.

7mm will be way to warm for the summer time. IMO - It is good for spring and fall. 5 mm is ok for June through Sept. I use a 2/3 mm in the summer and 5/7 mm in the spring/fall. Hope this helps you a bit.

without a doubt the 5mm. If you wear a 7mm you will roast after walking 50 feet. I wear a 5/4mm xcel slx. It is stretchy

enough to allow me to put on an extra hooded 2mm vest layer underneath in october when I need it... so if you think about it, i have 2 suits in one after buying an inexpensive vest

Yep, i agree with these guys, a 7 will kill ya in the warmer months, not sure a 5 would be much better but its gotta be better then the 7

I own [2] hyperstretch suits, a 7mm & a 3mm, the 3 is even a little too hot at times in the summer........................................

7mil is great for fall and early spring.2/3 for the summer is fine.Make sure whatever you do,get one that fits.

They are worthless if not fitted good.There are many good suits out there,and check out rash guards.

If the suit you get doesn't come with a hood, get one of these, you'll be glad you did. :)

On topic, if your budget allows get a 3/2 & a 5/3 or 5/4, if not go with a thicker suit.

my .02

thanks guys appreciate all the help, now when it comes to fitting properly do you want it to be somewhat tight . i dont think anyone has talked about how a wetsuit should fit. i am 5'10" 175 so i am looking at the plain large.

go with a 5mm. Or go with a 3/4 and a 1.5mm lycra skin suit. That's what I do. Your legs are usually fine even in late spring and fall. If I am going to be too cold, I go with a heater top to keep my core warm.