Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edkozek

Shimano Baitrunner 6000D for pier/jetty?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, First time post here. A friend recently gave me a Baitrunner 6000D. I do mainly pier and jetty fishing on south shore of Long Island (Long Beach area). This reel feels like overkill for this area, but I'm fairly new to fishing in this area and am looking for advice. I expect I'll be casting for lots of stripers and blues later this year.

Also, would love some input on what kind of rod to match to this reel for this kind of fishing.

Thanks very much for any feedback.

For pier and jetty work that is a nice reel for slinging chunks. It has a free spool feature so a fish can run with the bait and not feel the weight of the sinker. I'd look at mounting it on a 10 foot rod or better. Whatever your comfortable with. I tend to like longer rods for bait fishing at least an 11. It's not the kind of reel that you can toss lures with all day. It's a bit heavy for that but for a bait outfit it's really a great reel that should last you some time.

... for this kind of fishing.

What kind of fishing? For some people jetty fishing means casting plugs, for others bait....biiiiig difference.

What will you be casting and what weight ranges will you be casting? - that's what should guide your choice of rods, not the reel you're going to use.

Assuming you're bait fishing, the baitrunner is an appropriate reel. What line you plan on using determines whether to 6000 is overkill or not.

:th:

Eebs loves to answer questions with questions, and he's right, but generally, you're starting off with a great all-around reel. Are you fishing bait, or throwing plugs? That will make a pretty big difference in rod choice. Don't go spending a ton on a lamiglas until you  know better how you like to fish. Try out other people equimpent if they let you, read up, get some experience.

You can hardly go wrong with an ugly stick, I'd say 9' for chucking bait from a jetty, even if it doesn't become your favorite rod, it will be a great one to keep in the garage for beerfishing nights with friends. You can throw plugs with some of them, but they feel like a dumptruck compared to more appropriate plugging rods once you develop a feel for it. The baitrunner will still work for throwing plugs, and line choice will become something to think about when you get tot hat point.

Anyway, the best way is to get out there and fish, see what you like, and make up your own opinions. Find fishing friends, try their stuff, ask their opinions, and make your own.

Anyway, the best way is to get out there and fish, see what you like, and make up your own opinions. Find fishing friends, try their stuff, ask their opinions, and make your own.

Great Advice!

Thanks for the reply, guys. To answer some of your questions: I'll likely be fishing with bait, and mostly from piers and surf (prob not jetties). I'm leaning towards a 9 or 10' ugly stick. Thanks again.

I've got the 8000D paired up whith a 10' Ugly Stik 1-6oz. 50lb powerpro braid. I'm looking for another spool to put 20lb or 25lb mono on. I use if for strickly for chunking.

I've got a 6000d that I've been using for 2 years now and I'm pretty fed up with it. The main gears are of poor quality and it has a million moving parts. Had to have it repaired last summer because a tooth on a gear broke off and it locked on me with a 28# bass on the other end(which I hand lined in). Took forever to get the parts in to fix it. Also I treat my reels like gold, they are cleaned twice a season and rinsed with fresh water after every trip. Using my ancient Shakespeare now until I can afford something else, maybe a spin fisher v

that reel is not overkill, if you want to go with 50 lb braid id go with a 8000 , its the same reel with a bigger spool. i use a 6000 stratic with 30lb off piers and its perfect.

you may want to go with 50 though so you can turn a fish away from the pillings. iv lost lots of fish due to this, ( mostly sharks) but iv seen guys loose nice striper from this.