Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Division of Marine Fisheries

251 Causeway Street, Suite 400

Boston, Massachusetts 02114

(617)626-1520

fax (617)626-1509

The Division of Marine Fisheries (MarineFisheries) is collaborating with the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) to collect information on the Commonwealth’s recreational saltwater fishery to measure its economic value. In addition to providing important information about the socio-economic value of saltwater fishing in Massachusetts, this federally funded study will help to validate frequently used economic evaluation methods by applying an innovative direct approach in which some saltwater permit holders are presented with a cash offer in exchange for giving up their permit and thus the right to fish in marine waters for the remainder of 2012. Other permit holders will receive a survey asking for either their willingness to sell their 2012 permit for a particular price or their willingness to have paid a different amount for their 2012 permit.

MarineFisheries is issuing this Advisory to attest to the legitimacy of this angler permit survey, including the cash offers that some individuals will receive, and to assure its permit holders that in no way will the information from the survey be used to modify fees for Massachusetts’ recreational saltwater fishing permits.

Participation in the survey is voluntary; however, MarineFisheries highly encourages your response based on the important information that will be gathered. Past studies on the contribution of recreational fishing to the Commonwealth’s economy have considered the number of jobs and the amount of sales and incomes that are supported by the expenditures of saltwater recreational fishermen, but have not included the value that anglers place on being able to go saltwater fishing. This type of information holds great worth; for example, it would be necessary for a comprehensive estimate of economic losses to the recreational fishery if for some reason Massachusetts’ waters had to be closed to fishing.

MarineFisheries is maintaining a list of Commonly Asked Questions about the 2012 Massachusetts Saltwater Angler Permit Survey under the recreational permit page of its website: www.mass.gov/marinefisheries. General questions about MarineFisheries involvement can be directed to Nichola Meserve (nichola.meserve@state.ma.us). Technical questions regarding the study should be directed to Quantech, Inc., the statistical analysis and survey research firm contracted by NMFS to conduct the survey. Please contact Daemian Schreiber at 800-229-5220 ext 7831, or mavs@quantech.com.

Way too much time on their hands....

Agreed.

However, one question begs asking. Why on earth, and under what conditions would Ma waters ever be closed to fishing?

Agreed.

However, one question begs asking. Why on earth, and under what conditions would Ma waters ever be closed to fishing?

MPA's?

Bob:

"..some saltwater permit holders are presented with a cash offer in exchange for giving up their permit and thus the right to fish in marine waters for the remainder of 2012. Other permit holders will receive a survey asking for either their willingness to sell their 2012 permit for a particular price or their willingness to have paid a different amount for their 2012 permit."

Bob:

I assume the sum of both these contacted groups are some portion of all those registered. Why would this offer and survey imply the closing of the MA waters to fishing?

I agree that it's not clear why this exercise "...will help to validate frequently used economic evaluation methods......"

They are looking to see if paying prople not to fish would be cheaper than other programs. More of a make work project in my opinion.

U couldn't pay me enough to not fish! I wish i could get paid to do what I like but asking questions to people who like the same hobby isn't my idea of the fun i could be having even if i'm loosing money!

Deep down, those were my exact thoughts.:mad:

Action: An angler gets a check for $50 (or $500 as has been reported). If he cashes it, he will not legally be able to fish SW for the remainder of the year. So he doesn't cash it, believing it's not worth forfeiting what he enjoys.

Reaction: A conclusion is made: The angler is willing to pay $50 (or $500) to legally fish.

Yep, just being paranoid I guess.

Yep, just being paranoid I guess.

I don't think anything is paranoid with your concerns, their initial statement is wishy washy at best. Anytime a government is conducting surveys, in particular surveys on revenue, they typically want to adjust taxation/fees to what THEY DEEM to be a reasonable sacrifice to the end user *cough*vehicle excise tax*cough*. I'm sure in a few years we will hear them say "We have determined that recreational fishing has X benefit to the state and Y expense to the state, there fore we recommend bending the consumer over by Z amount".

Agreed.

Man you love attention, donchya?

Oil spills......nuclear disaster.......wind farms transformer blows up and ruins the sound .....toxic waste....etc etc etc....all could close our waters. :(

Perhaps....just perhaps, the bad bad men that are taking your little pittances for permits are trying to quantify a real value in the event they ever need to file for damages on YOUR behalf, because you can't go fishing anymore.

Why'd you have to repost what I posted yesterday? Did you think I made that up? :kook:

Man you love attention, donchya?

Oil spills......nuclear disaster.......wind farms transformer blows up and ruins the sound .....toxic waste....etc etc etc....all could close our waters. :(

Perhaps....just perhaps, the bad bad men that are taking your little pittances for permits are trying to quantify a real value in the event they ever need to file for damages on YOUR behalf, because you can't go fishing anymore.

Why'd you have to repost what I posted yesterday? Did you think I made that up? :kook:

Me lovin attention. :laugh: That's a good one. :th:

You ask, why did I repost what you posted yesterday? The truth is, I didn't realize you already posted it. I missed it. Sorry to disappoint you, I'm sure you were hoping I was up to something far more devious. But again, the truth is, I missed your post.

BTW loligo, don't misinterprete this as an apology, b/c it's not. If anyone is owed an apology, that would be Tim, as it's his bandwith being used.

OMT, you did answer my question as to why our waters could possibly face a closure. I didn't take all that into consideration. Good answer. It would have been a lot better though without the sarcasm and antagonism. :dismay: